Chapter 25

Mei's POV

I was taken away from my sister's side when I was 5. Our parents died in a car accident. I was a crybaby, naive, weak, pathetic at that age. Getting thrown in the orphanage without even noticing what's happening. Getting ganged up by older kids there, not knowing how to fight back. It was Rian who's always saving me from them. Patching up my wounds, telling me to stop crying. She was my star.

She was way different than me. Despite being just a year older than me, she's strong. She'd fight people more beefier than her without hesitating. She'd win, even though with injuries all over her. And because of that, she's always getting locked up by the adults at the orphanage without my acknowledgement. They'd tell me that Rian's just getting isolated for her to recover better. Little do they know, I knew everything from the start. Their lies, their ugly faces, every one of the ugly words that came out of their mouths. Rian's getting locked up without food or drinks.

"Psst!!" I knocked on the window of a dark room. You almost can't see anything inside with the curtains closed.

There's Rian, lying on the cold floor even when it's almost winter. She got up and opened the window, which has a barrier blocking the way, preventing her from escaping through the window.

"Thank God you're here!" She giggled at me.

I gave her the bun and the glass of water I had in my hands through the barriers.
"That's all I could steal. Should last for at least 2 days."

"The fucking adults don't even care about me dying here. This orphanage's ass." She complained as she took the stuff from me.

"..... I'm sorry..." I remember mumbling.

"Ah? Why so sudden?"

"It's my fault that you got into a fight... Yet, you're the one getting locked up here and not those bullies."

Rian looked at me, seeing me almost crying.
"Man, you sure are a pain in the ass."

I was really gonna cry once hearing that.

"But, do remember this. As long as I am by your side, I'd protect you from harm no matter what."

At least that's the last thing she said that I remember. I was adopted without her knowing two days after that.

My adoptive mum and dad were like the angels in movies. They'd cook what I like, let me do what I love. And most importantly, they'd send me to school to study.

Though having all the happiness surrounding me, I started getting into fights. Other than that, I'm still acing all the exams in school. I hid the fact that I fought, and told my parents that I tripped by myself. What a dumb lie it is, now thinking back.

"That's her!" A kid pointed at me, saying to another gang of people behind him. He's got bandages all over his face, what's up with him?

They stood in front of me, blocking my way. They don't seem friendly either.

"You're the one who beat up this guy yesterday?" The one that seemed to be the 'leader' asked me, referring to the one with bandages.

I raised my brow, tilted my head.
"Have I met you somewhere?" I asked the injured one.

"Don't you play dumb! You threw me on to the ground just yesterday!"

"Ah haha~ The one that got his pants pissed? I'm sorry, I'm not good at recognizing faces."

He's clearly angry, holding his fists so tight like there's no tomorrow.

"Woah, woah. Are y'all here to avenge him? Ah, so scary! I couldn't win with 1 against 7! I apologize, alright?"
I had my hands in half up in the air. Bowing 90 degrees with them in front of me.

But then I shot up from the bow. I remember that I gave the leader a punch in the face.

"You—!!"

"Me? Oh, I'm just checking if my shoelace fell off." I smiled, giving him another kick in the abdomen.

Of course, they all started charging at me, that's how gangs worked back then. 1 versus 7. What pussies, middle schoolers ganging on one primary girl student.

Well, I'm taking the disadvantage as you can see. They're more tough and beefier than me. Sooner or later, I got locked on the arms after sending 5 of them down.

"Tch, bitch really put up a fight." The leader said, picking up a metal pipe from the ground, wiping away blood from his mouth.

I couldn't move, nor I have the energy to do so. I stared at him in the eyes, with a hint of sarcasm.
"What assholes, bringing this much people just to gang up on a girl."

The leader was about to swing the pipe on me as I closed my eyes, waiting for the impact to come. But it never did.

Carefully opening my eyes, to see the leader already down on the ground. The one locking my arms is also sent down. I lost my balance, and sat on to the ground. It hurts, don't even ask.
Confusing as I am, there stood another boy. Maybe the same age as I am. The mole under his right eye fits him perfectly. Well, apart from the haircut though, it's ugly.

"Assholes got no shame." He said. Turning to me, he reached out his hand to me.

"You alright?"

"Uh... Yeah." I took it, as he helped me stand up back on my feet.

"Remember to patch up. See ya." He told me, and started walking away already without another word.

I called out to him.
"Hey, wait!"

"Hm?"

"Thank you for saving me..."

"Yeah, no problem."

"Can I... Know your name?"

"Kazutora. Kazutora Hanemiya."

And from that day on, I never stopped following this guy. He's getting annoyed at first, but soon gave up on trying to drive me away. Sorry, I guess?

Kazutora then introduced me to Baji. Then introduced me to the others. Mikey, Draken, Mitsuya, Pah....

It was a good memory. Stupid kids with wild ass dreams. If I get to stop him that day.... Would all of this ever happen in the first place....?

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.