The Strength of Love

Characters: Thesan and Ameer
Book: This story does not take place in any of my fanfictions.
This occurred in between "A Court of Flames and Shadows" and "A Court of War and Sacrifice".

☼ ~ ◦ ☼ ◦ ~ ☼

Thesan stood outside the temple, a soft breeze ruffling his already unruly hair. Nothing seemed to be going quite right today, even after he'd spent so long trying to make everything perfect. After all, he only planned on having one mating ceremony. For Cauldron's sake, why couldn't things just work out the way he planned?

Thesan combed his fingers back through his hair with a disgruntled huff. He glanced over his shoulder and through the temple entrance. Most of their guests were already in attendance. He and Ameer had decided to keep the ceremony small, only inviting a few of their friends and influential members of the Court, along with a few of the other High Lords and Ladies.

One guest in particular had yet to arrive. That was why Thesan hadn't gone inside yet. It was almost time for the ceremony to start, but Samanya Anik had promised she would be there when he tracked her down weeks ago and invited her in person. He worked his hands together nervously, scanning the bustling street for any sign of the Peregryn.

Perhaps she changed her mind, he thought. I can't blame her if she doesn't want to be here.

It had only been two months since their own separation. Samanya had confessed her love to him, but told him she knew that Ameer was his mate and she wanted the two of them to try to work out their problems. Thesan had waited one month afterwards before reaching out to Ameer and now, another month later, they were being formally mated.

Maybe I shouldn't have invited her. I know how being here might affect her. Thesan pursed his lips, working his hands harder.

It had been selfish of him to want her there. To want to see her one last time. A part of him had grown to love her too in their four months together, but it dimmed in the light of the Bond that stood between himself and his Peregryn Commander.

That didn't stop him from thinking of what might have been though, had he and Ameer not chosen to be together again. If Ameer had rejected him, he would have broken the then incomplete Bond between them.

It would be he and Samanya here today. He would've married her. There wasn't a doubt in his mind about that. And if he had loved her enough for that, how much greater was her own love for him, because it had not been weighed down by love for another?

Thesan sighed once more, then stiffened as footsteps sounded behind him. He half-turned, spying Ameer. His mate studied him carefully, a worried gleam in his brown eyes. "Everything all right? The priestess is ready to begin."

"I'm...waiting," Thesan admitted. "For Samanya. She told me she would be here."

Ameer gave a slow nod. "I'll tell her to wait a few minutes longer then." He turned to go, but paused. "Thesan, if you're not ready for this, we can wait. I didn't mean to rush you into something you didn't want just yet."

"You didn't rush me," Thesan protested with a frown. He drew closer to his mate and brushed his hands across his shoulders, smoothing down the creamy fabric of his tunic. "This was as much my idea as it was yours, and I am ready. I just wanted her to be here too." He pursed his lips, eyes flicking up to Ameer's. "And I wanted to speak with her before we're tied together for the rest of the evening."

"I understand. How much longer do you want to wait?" Ameer's breath caught as Thesan traced his palm over the curve of his wing, straightening a few of his pristine white feathers.