First Conversations

The artwork above is not mine.

◦ ~ ◦ ❀ ◦ ~ ◦

Characters: Nyx and Venelia
Book: This story does not directly tie into any of my fanfictions.
This story would take place a few months before the beginning of A Court of Wings and Fate.

◦ ~ ◦ ❀ ◦ ~ ◦

    It was Nyx's least favorite day of the year. He griped to himself mentally as he pulled his dark shoulder-length hair back into a bun. His mother had been nagging at him to trim it short, but he liked wearing it this way. Wearing his hair short made him feel too much like his father, and it was hard enough to escape Rhysand's shadow without the help of their glaring similarities.

    It wasn't that he didn't want to be like his father. He did, exceedingly. Nyx wanted to be as brave, loyal, strong, and powerful as him. He hoped he could someday be half as good a High Lord as his father was. He just...wanted to be recognized as himself too. It was tiring, always being recognized as the son of Rhysand and Feyre. Just once, he wanted to be seen for who he was. The problem was, he wasn't entirely sure who that was himself.

    Knuckles rapped on his door. "I'm almost ready," Nyx sighed. The door creaked open, revealing his mother's golden brown head. She smiled approvingly at his choice in outfit. He was wearing a royal blue tunic, embellished with silver thread designed to look like different constellations.

    Nyx had argued against Feyre's idea of him wearing a tunic this evening, opting instead for his Illyrian leathers, but Feyre had insisted he look more like a friend and a Prince than an enemy and a warrior. Tonight was an important night, and the last thing they needed was to show themselves as a threat.

    "You look nice," she said, leaning against the door.

    "Thanks." Nyx pursed his lips, studying his reflection. He shifted his large Illyrian wings restlessly. "Do I have to go?"

    "Yes," Feyre chuckled as he grimaced. "I'm sorry, Darling. I don't enjoy Calanmai any more than you do, but it has to be done."

    "Why? Surely there's another way to restore the magic of the land without having a Courts wide orgy," Nyx muttered. "Not everyone likes standing in a large crowd of people with their dicks out. Especially when your own father is one of them."

    Feyre hid her smile behind her hand. "I know. It's awkward for anyone with common sense. But it's tradition. Maybe when you're High Lord, you could try to find a new tradition to begin."

    "Maybe. Which of the High Lords will be there this year?" Nyx followed Feyre out of his room and trailed her down the stairs.

    All High Lords were supposed to participate in the Calanmai events. It was an annual celebration, meant to renew the magic that coursed through Prythian's Faerie Courts. Each High Lord had to allow himself to be imbued with hoards of powerful magic. He then searched for his Maiden and fucked her until his magic was released into the land. Most High Lords only ever sought out their mates. Some didn't participate and sent others to perform the ceremony in their stead.

    "Kallias and Viviane will be there. Tarquin, Helion and Larilis, us, and Tamlin, of course."

    "Of course. No Thesan or Eris?"

    "Eris won't come since Evren won't be able to accompany him. I'm sure he'll send someone else to take his place. Same for Thesan, and are you surprised he isn't coming? He never does."