The Dawn's Wrath

Characters: Thesan
Book: This story does not take place in any of my fanfictions.
It is set two days after my short story "The Truth of Self" and takes place when Mikael is ten years old.

☼ ~ ◦ ☼ ◦ ~ ☼

The initial concept for this story was suggested/requested by Holb32

☼ ~ ◦ ☼ ◦ ~ ☼

Thesan sat on his son's bed, looking over his sleeping figure. Mikael had been unconscious for two days now, though his wounds were steadily mending from his ordeal. Thesan still didn't know who was responsible for the brutal attack on his son, but when he found them, the Mother herself wouldn't be able to save them from his wrath.

Mikael winced in his sleep and Thesan tensed. He passed a glowing hand over Mikael's broken arm, then across the tender patches on his wings where his feathers had been mercilessly ripped out. Something hot and ferocious burned within him at the sight, though Mikael's features had relaxed once more.

Thesan pursed his lips and inspected his arm closer. It was healing well, but slower than he preferred even with Mikael's accelerated healing. When it had broken, the fractured bone had pierced through Mikael's skin. Thesan had to force the bone back into his arm before they could even set it.

With such a drastic break, it was better to let it heal naturally as much as possible. Magic could heal it completely right now, yes, but he'd always found that a bone mended naturally still proved stronger than a bone mended by magic. He was using magic on it currently only to ease Mikael's pain. In another day or two, it would be healed enough for him to finish the task himself.

The door creaked open, but Thesan didn't bother turning. Only one other person was allowed in his son's room right now. Every member of staff within his palace, whether they were a servant or a guard, were well aware of the fact, and all obeyed it. Thesan straightened when his mate cleared his throat.

"It's getting late," Ameer said. "You'll need to leave soon."

"I don't have to go," Thesan answered, not taking his eyes off Mikael.

Ameer's steady footsteps crossed the room and paused behind him. He heard the soft feathers of his Peregryn wings rustle, then Ameer rested a hand on his shoulder. "You do. They've already postponed the meeting for us before."

"Then you go in my stead. It wouldn't be the first time."

"Thesan." Ameer's tone was quiet, but firm. "You're the High Lord, not me. I can't take your place this time."

"Let Tamlin whine about Humans crossing his borders. He's going to have to accept change eventually."

Ameer's answering sigh was more frustrated than anything. Thesan could picture his mate rolling his eyes. "Tamlin annoys me just as much as he annoys you, but his concerns are valid. If they're deciding on whether to open our borders to the Humans or enforce them, you need to be there to offer your input. This will eventually affect every court, not just Spring."

Thesan let his head fall against his chest and combed his fingers through his hair, drawing a heavy breath. "For Cauldron's sake," he grumbled under his breath. "They've postponed this damned meeting for just two days and my son has been unconscious the entire time. Can't they at least leave me alone until he wakes up?"

Ameer squeezed his shoulder and sat down beside him. "I know."

Thesan blew out a disgruntled sigh and pinched the bridge of his nose, then massaged his brow wearily. "Fine. I'll go, if only to get the lot of them off my ass."