Sister to a Prince

Characters: Wynter and Ellie
Book: This story does not take place in any of my fanfictions.
This story is set a few months after the end of A Court of Snow and Storms

❅•~❅~•❅

    Wynter paced the length of the sitting room, rubbing his hands up and down his arms in an effort to ease his rising anxiety. He'd done so for the past several hours, but still, there was no news on his mother or baby sister. He exhaled slowly and paused beside a window. Little snowflakes floated to the ground outside.

    Wynter didn't bother turning when the door creaked open. "Wyn?" Soft footsteps approached and a warm hand touched his.

    Wynter glanced at his mate, managing a small smile. "I'm all right. Just worried about Mother."

    Elodie leaned her raven head against his shoulder and curled her fingers around his. "She'll be all right. Colette and Briony are looking after her."

    "I know, but it's taking so long."

    "I didn't know you were so impatient," Ellie giggled.

    Wynter's smile grew. "I've only been waiting for a sibling for 129 years. I can't help that I'm excited."

    "I'm glad you're excited." Ellie looked up and Wynter met her gaze. Her one crystal blue eye shone with pride, while the scarred, cloudy one stared through him. "I know your excitement has made your parents happy."

    Wynter rubbed the back of his neck, letting a snowy white braid fall over his shoulder. Shame pricked at his mind as he recalled how he'd initially reacted to news of his mother's pregnancy. The news had come at a...difficult time for him, and his reaction had certainly reflected that.

    He still flinched when he recalled the words he'd spat at his parents, and the words his father had given in reply. Though they'd apologized to each other profusely, the sting remained. Wynter often wondered how long he'd have to wait before he was able to forgive himself for the argument that had transpired.

    "It wasn't your fault, Wyn," Ellie murmured, as if sensing his thoughts. "You weren't yourself and your parents know that. They've never held any of it against you."

    "I know," Wynter replied. That's why I do it for them. He kept the last part to himself, knowing what Ellie would say. "But it's a poor excuse. I shouldn't have said the things I did."

    "Neither should your father. You both said things you regret, but you've made up. You should try to move past it."

    "There's a lot of things I should try to move past," Wynter whispered under his breath. "But that's easier said than done."

    "I know." Ellie's hand tightened around his.

    Wynter pressed his lips to the top of her head, knowing exactly what she was now thinking of. Though the things they'd experienced were completely different, Ellie was right. She did know how hard it was to move past certain things. She had her own set of troubles that she was trying to forget.

    Ellie often faced nightmares of her own, though they came less frequently than Wynter's. She dreamed of her uncle. Of the abuse he'd subjected her to and the torture that had rendered her blind in one eye.

    Wynter knew that Ebner Rohese's sentence weighed heavily on her as well. Ellie and her three cousins, her uncle's children, had been the ones to choose his punishment following his arrest. They'd chosen to have him locked away for the rest of his life, seeing and speaking to no one.