Fateful Meeting

The artwork above is not mine.

•༻☾☽༺•

Characters: Azriel and Seren
Book: A Court of Flames and Shadows
This story is Azriel's perspective during Chapter 3 of A Court of Flames and Shadows.

•༻☾☽༺•

    Azriel kept his eyes peeled as he soared over the Illyrian Mountains, close to the border between the Night and Day Courts. Cassian flew nearby, with Nesta in his arms. They'd been searching the mountains for days, but had yet to find the person Rhys swore had crossed the border. Azriel had accompanied Rhys to the border when the wards first sent out an alert, but their search yielded nothing. Not even a scent was left behind.

    Azriel had asked the shadows if they had any clues to offer him, but they stayed surprisingly silent. Save for their inaudible whispers to one another, that is. They were clearly worried or intrigued by something, but refused to tell him what. They were still whispering, even as Azriel scanned the mountains below.

    "I don't think we're going to find anything today," Cassian called. "Maybe we should go back. Let Devlon send some Illyrians out to comb the mountains. We have other things to worry about."

    "If Rhys wanted Devlon's warriors looking into this, he would've asked them already," Azriel replied. His cobalt siphons flashed in the sunlight. He was aware of Cassian and Nesta speaking to each other in low tones, but didn't bother trying to listen in.

    The shadows tensed a moment later and Azriel slowed his pace. What is it? He asked.

    There is a cave below, the shadows murmured. It contains something.

    What?

    Something unknown, yet familiar. Go look. Go see. We want to know.

    Azriel narrowed his hazel eyes, but banked towards the mountain the shadows indicated. "Az!" Cassian hollered. "Where are you going?"

    "The shadows think there's something down here," he replied. The shadows urged him on faster, but Azriel maintained his speed. If this was the intruder, he wouldn't risk alerting them to his presence. Azriel landed softly. Cassian and Nesta weren't far behind.

    They crept towards the mouth of the cave, weapons drawn. Cassian's red siphons glowed with power. As did Azriel's. He tightened his fist around Truth-Teller, waiting for the first sign of an attack. Their siphons shed soft light over the interior of the cave, revealing a slender figure near the back of it.

    Nesta lowered her sword, though her features remained wary. "That's a female."

    Go look. Go see, the shadows urged.

    Wait, Azriel replied. She could be dangerous. They responded with an impatient huff.

    "Nes," Cassian hissed as his mate inched closer to the female.

    Nesta sheathed her sword and knelt. Her hands skimmed over the frail female on the ground. "Mother above," she murmured.

    "What is it?"

    Azriel peered around Nesta, then took a step forward. Something twisted in his gut at the sight of the female. She was much thinner than she should've been, and covered in blood and dirt. It was obvious that she'd been attacked at some point in her journey. Dark bruises covered her olive skin. There was a dagger strapped to her thigh and a small satchel an arm's length away from her.