Reaching Out a Hand

Characters: Mina and Corbin
Book: "A Court of Stars and Memories"
This story takes place during Chapter 26 of ACOSAM

◦༻❅༺◦

Mina picked at her nails disinterestedly, paying little attention to the conversation happening nearby. She'd tuned out Nyx and Lysander's voices the minute they began speaking. As for her sister, Mitsi was currently playing with Nyx's adopted twin sons.

Mina's mouth curled into a frown. Wasn't Mitsi supposed to be training? She wasn't going to waste her time here if her sister was just going to play with the children.

From the corner of her eye, she spied a winged male approaching. He hadn't been here before. Mina sat up straighter, her frown stretching. "Why is he here?" She demanded. If this was all just some ploy to convince her to grant Corbin an ounce of her attention...

"You invited me, remember?" The male replied with a grin.

"No," Mina scoffed.

She most certainly had not invited him here. She wouldn't even be entertaining this conversation if it weren't for the fact that her only ways off the House of Wind were by asking someone to fly her off or climbing down 10,000 stairs. The stairs seemed like complete overkill in her opinion.

Corbin crossed his arms, that insanely annoying smirk of his continuing to grow. "I asked if you were free this afternoon and you said you'd be here. And you said I could come along if I wanted to get my ass kicked." Mina fisted her palms as he spread his arms wide in mock invitation. "Well here I am, Sweetheart."

Mina jolted to her feet. "Don't call me that," she spat. "And I was being sarcastic. You're not welcome. We're here to train my sister."

"Lys and Nyx can train your sister. I can train you." His hazel gaze sparkled with amusement as it roamed over her. "Or you can train me. Whichever you prefer."

"I'll kick your ass," she hissed.

"That's exactly why I'm here."

Mother above, how was it possible for one male to be so irritating? If Corbin was as much like his father as Nesta claimed, she had no idea how the female had managed to stay sane for so long. Corbin winked and Mina bared her teeth in a snarl, storming towards him.

She grabbed him by the strap on his leathers, glaring into his eyes. Corbin held her gaze, unflinching. "Go on," he urged. "Put me where you want me."

Oh, she knew exactly what he was insinuating. Micah was right. Males like him only ever wanted one thing, and she was never letting a male look at her that way again. "I want your face eating dirt," she hissed. Or suffocating in it. Whichever happened first.

"Then put me there."

Mina shoved him away and Corbin formed his fists with a chuckle. She was barely aware of Lysander leading Mitsi and Nyx away. All she saw was this infuriating male who hadn't left her alone since she first came to the Night Court. And now he was going to willingly let her hit him. Perfect.

She lunged without warning, but Corbin was ready. He stepped to the side and caught her wild swing easily, then pushed her away. Mina clenched her jaw against a slew of curses.

"And here I thought my mom wasn't going easy on you when you trained," Corbin taunted. "Is that the best you can do? Emrys and Lir swing harder than that, and their blows actually connect."

Mina rounded on him, another frustrated snarl tearing past her lips. She raised her fists and struck towards his throat. Corbin blocked and she lashed out again. Every punch she threw, he managed to block.