An Autumn Mating

Characters: Eris and Evren
Book: A Court of Hearts and Stone
This story is depicted in Chapter 35 of ACOHAS

•~ ❘ ۞ ❘ ~•

    Evren loosed a heavy breath, studying herself in the mirror. Her stomach twisted with nervous excitement and a smile tugged at her lips. She let it grow, relishing the sight. It was still unfamiliar to her; she hadn't smiled in so long. And tonight, she was marrying, no, she was being mated to the male who had helped her learn to smile again.

    Evren tucked a loose lock of ebony hair back into the rolled bun at the nape of her neck. She tilted her head from side to side, making sure her hair looked decent. Then, she turned to a table that sat beside the vanity. The crown of the Lady of Autumn rested upon it.

    It no longer belonged to just a Lady. In a matter of minutes, it would belong to the High Lady. To her. Evren took the glittering crown and set it atop her head. Briefly, her eyes drifted shut. The weight of the crown still felt out of place upon her brow, but Eris assured her that it had always been meant to rest there.

    When Evren opened her eyes and took in her reflection once more, she could only agree. The crown was crafted of solid gold and formed a pattern of flames and leaves. Vibrant rubies studded it at well placed intervals. The entire crown was a striking contrast to her dark hair and sea green eyes.

    Evren exhaled again, her throat bobbing. If only you could see me now, she thought, the faces of her parents rising in her mind. Would you be proud of me? Would you approve of Eris, even though he's Fae, and Beron's son?

    She waited, but no answer came. Evren stood and smoothed out her mahogany red tunic. She'd opted for it and a set of pants rather than a gown. She'd be wearing plenty of those later, when she was introduced to the Court and to Eris' fellow High Lords and Ladies.

    A knock sounded at the door, catching her attention. Evren turned as it opened. Eris' amber gaze traveled over her and slowly, he began to smile. Evren returned it, taking note of the way his outfit complemented hers, from his own crown to his boots.

    "Are you ready?" Eris asked, offering her a hand.

    Evren arched a brow. "Are you?" She slipped her hand into his.

    "Am I ready to make our mating official and claim you as my High Lady? Of course." A gentle touch rippled across that shining Bond in her chest. Evren returned the gesture as Eris guided her closer. Briefly, his lips met hers. "I'm also ready to claim you in a more intimate way," he murmured.

    A flush crept into her cheeks before she could stop it. "Haven't you done that already?"

    "No." Eris' mouth strayed to her jaw. Evren lifted her chin slightly and he dropped kisses on her neck. "The incident in the throne room doesn't count as intimate. That was me worshipping you in your rightful place."

    Evren's lashes fluttered against her cheeks as her thoughts dredged up the encounter. "And before that," his warm breath caressed the shell of her ear, "you were asserting your power over me. You know I'm helpless when you've got a knife to my throat and my dick between your legs."

    Heat pooled low in Evren's stomach and Eris inhaled deeply. "Fucking hell," he breathed. "The time you let me taste you was a gift, which you then returned." His hand splayed across her back and he nudged her closer.