Ch40 - Holding a Grudge

Start from the beginning

"So?" her tone sharpened as a hissing cat.

"Master wants you and Macao to speak. Everyone can see the tension between you both from the whole county." he intented to lighten up the mood.

Kaya smiled bitterly, and surprisingly, she shrugged defeated. "Fine, I will talk to him". She accepted reluctantly. A tender smile made its way to her lips.

"You're not angry?" Laxus spouted, relieved she didn't flare with anger.

The light-mage scoffed, "I'm not angry at you, master asked the closest friend I have to pass me the information. I'm mad at him and Macao for not asking me themselves. It's normal I still resent that old rascal! I lost seven years far from here!" she declared with a bit of an accent similar to those of the bartenders in the capital.

The dragon slayer sighed, he accepted her response with joy, but one thing ticked him off. The closest friend I have. Somehow, Laxus' chest tightened, normally he would've been proud to be considered a friend by his Fairy Tail's peers. After all he has done. But now, he wished he was considered more to her. Kaya wanted to join the others back inside, yet the arm of the dragon slayer blocked her way. "What are you doin...?"

She was cut off, by Laxus' face approaching hers. "Hey... uhm... do you think it would be... umm... possible to go on a d... hang out! Together?" he stammered, his cheeks reddened as he talked. Kaya giggled before his cute behaviour, unconsciously she place one finger on his lips, her features softened as he was cut off in a daze.

"Sure, Laxus. I would love to." she winked at him and skirted away entering Fairy Tail doors. Nonetheless, when she went back, the mages acted weirdly, as if... as if they heard something they weren't meant to hear... at all.

Her face flushed as she realized, out of all the mages, the dragon slayers seemed the most interested. Lucy and Mira's smiles broadened as she sat back to the counter. "Don't." she warned, defeated. Mira hid her grin, her plan was working so well. As she was the one to request Laxus and Kaya to get closer. The strings were working so fine...

Some days later, Kaya took the opportunity of a day-off to visit the guild early, she anticipated with anxiousness the talk she will have with the old man. She brushed off the matter for far too long now. Her small frame entered the guild grounds. Few people were already awake in the guild at the time. Upon scanning the area, she spotted Macao seated next to his old comrade in the back of the guild.

"Then I guess it's time." she sighed heavily.

Her footsteps interrupted the discussions between the two old friends. Wakaba smirked noisily as he witnessed the look on Kaya's face. Macao flinched under the resoltuness of her vision.

"Can we talk?" she asked, then glanced at Wakaba. "Alone."

Macao nodded shortly and paced towards the outside of the guild. The old mage appeared more deceived than usual. Kaya looked at him with a harsh glare. She still resented him for expelling her when she needed her family the most. Don't even start on the single apology she should have received from him when she returned.

"I heard from the master that you wanted to talk. Talk." she pronounced, bitterly.

Macao avoided looking into her eyes, he knew the young woman would only return a frown. "Kaya... I know I've been horrible to you..." he began, hesitating on his choice of words.

"Terrible?" she pointed out, with a false surprise. "You pushed me away from the guild."

"And I still regret doing it." he admitted guiltily. "Please forgive me."

Kaya shuffled with sadness, "I can't. Macao I wasn't even an adult, if it weren't for Jellal I would've been killed in a dark alley and never been heard of." she remarked with a disturbing absence of emotions

A tightness brushed over the man's heart. Kaya pursued with unease, "Tell me honestly, Would you have done the same for Romeo? To your own family?" she questioned with calm;

Macao frowned and shook his head negatively. "Then I guess I never was important to you." she remarked, her voice flinched. "You can ask for forgiveness all you want. But understand that you made me lose 7 years of adventures with my family. And that I still can't forgive."

Kaya analyzed the features of the mage; she once considered him as a father figure in the guild. Her heart ached when she was pushed away from him and their family. Deep down, she prayed for him to turn back on his decision. The only satisfaction the conversation brought her was to know he regretted it. She knew their situation was dire back then, yet, she wished for her friends to fight as hard as they did for their other companions before.

"I don't say I will resent you forever." she revealed with a tight smile. "Maybe one day, I will grow up to let go of my grudge. But just let me get over it, with time."

In those words, her feet led her back inside the guild and her shoulders lowered, she quickly hid in the bathrooms, letting tears flow down her cheeks. She just needed a bit of time. Even if she dreamed of putting him back in his place, she still hated herself for being so harsh on him. 

------------

------------

Hello Guys! I'm so sorry for not updating more often, I got caught in tons of problems lately. Don't worry. I'll soon start the last chapter. I'm so sorry it won't be as developped as the rest of the story, but I have a huge artblock, not being able to conclude my story is really frustrating. 

I hope you guys appreciate this chapter, I'm currently finishing the last chapter. Keep tuned for the final of the Hidden Light ;)