"Chapter 34: Rotation"

    "The atmosphere in the office dropped to freezing."
    "Lu Cheng didn't expect Shen Tingyu to admit so openly, almost as if he was blatantly provoking him. Shen was known for maintaining a façade of civility, even in private."
    "Clearly, he had no intention of continuing that pretense today."
    "What irritated Lu Cheng even more was that this change was all because of Xu Qingran."
    "He glared at Shen Tingyu, 'This matter was initially agreed upon by us in the Silver Dragon. You can't just come in and take him away just because the Golden Wing says so!'"
    "His stance was firm."
    "The man in the chair responded with nonchalance, 'I'm merely offering the individual another option and conveying the Golden Wing Corps' wishes to the dean.'"
    "'If Xu declines, I won't insist,' Shen Tingyu added."
    "'After all, teaching is very much about fate.'"
    "Having known Shen Tingyu for many years, Lu Cheng was surprised to hear him speak so casually. This manner of speaking made it seem as if the Silver Dragon Corps was being overly aggressive and unreasonably petty."
    "Thinking about Xu Qingran being 'deceived' into going to Shen Tingyu's home, Lu Cheng scoffed, 'Not insisting?'"
    "'Indeed, the Golden Wing Corps excels not in coercion, but in brainwashing and coaxing.'"
    "His tone changed, almost sounding bitter, 'All sweet words, taking advantage of someone's innocence and kindness, luring them with seemingly reasonable excuses, then slowly revealing your true intentions at home!'"
    "'Shameless.'"
    "The dean, sitting behind the desk, wearily raised a hand to his face."
    "He could only maintain silence."
    "Hearing this, Shen Tingyu laughed."
    "Observing Lu Cheng's fury, he struggled to comprehend what was upsetting him. He had gathered some information about Xu Qingran from recent discussions, thinking Lu Cheng would be disgusted and avoid Xu Qingran at all costs."
    "Yet, it didn't seem to be the case."
    "Shen Tingyu, with an unchanged expression and tone, asked him, 'Silver Dragon Corps' Major General Lu, I'm just curious to know, do you understand the current Xu Qingran?'"
    "Simple, kind, easy to bully?"
    "This was the biggest joke he had heard today."
    "Lu Cheng was indignant at Shen Tingyu's question."
    "He laughed angrily, 'I grew up with him from childhood, friends for over a decade. What do you think?'"
    "What was Shen Tingyu in comparison?"
    "Just a few months of living together, and he expects to replace the bond Xu Qingran and he shared?"
    "'People always change,' Shen Tingyu replied nonchalantly, 'like you suddenly realizing you don't love him, or he rapidly becoming someone beyond your expectations.'"
    "Lu Cheng, incensed, instinctively retorted, 'Who said I don't love him!'"
    "Shen Tingyu raised an eyebrow."
    "The dean, hands clasped in front of his mouth, appeared lost in thought but was actually enjoying the drama."
    "Only after speaking did Lu Cheng realize what he had confessed, annoyed, 'Shen Tingyu, we are discussing matters between our corps, don't try to change the subject!'"
    "'I've said all I need to,' Shen Tingyu stood up, 'As I mentioned, I am only conveying the Supreme Commander's wishes. Everything else is up to Xu's decision.'"
    "Just as Lu Cheng disliked Shen Tingyu, the feeling was mutual."
    "Shen found Lu often too stiff, obstinate, and somewhat presumptuous. His recent dislike stemmed mainly from Lu's inexplicable attachment to Xu Qingran."
    "Shen Tingyu fundamentally disagreed with the compatibility data between Lu and Xu Qingran."
    "But until the truth was confirmed, Xu Qingran remained the partner with the highest compatibility for him. Lu's attitude felt like an encroachment on someone temporarily in his domain."
    "It was quite displeasing."
    "Shen Tingyu didn't openly display his displeasure, simply patting Lu Cheng's shoulder, 'Major General Lu, having made your choice, try not to trouble those unrelated.'"
    "'The habit of wanting what's in the bowl while eyeing the pot isn't particularly commendable.'"
    "After bidding the dean farewell, Shen Tingyu left to check on the new students. Lu Cheng, stung by his words, clenched his fists tighter and tighter, regaining composure only after a long moment to suppress the anger unwittingly provoked, then exited the office."
    "The dean, having met with both imposing figures, was deeply worried."
    "In the end, he actually had to invite Xu Qingran back to the office, forcing him to choose between two such outstanding individuals?!"
    "Who exactly was this Xu Qingran!"
    "Not to mention his performance, since his enrollment, he had garnered favor from the leaders of both major factions. Vice Commander Wang of the Silver Dragon Corps personally oversaw his evaluations, and now, the new jewels of both the Golden Wing and Silver Dragon were vying for him... or perhaps, fighting over him?"
    "At this moment, Xu Qingran was diligently practicing with the mental power gun."
    "Xu Qingran learned in class that the mental power gun required its user to have extremely powerful and skilled control of their mental power. The more concentrated and refined the released mental energy, the stronger the attack."
    "Initially, everyone's mental power gun attacks were as thick as pipes. The junior instructor said such attacks might be fine against lower-level creatures, but were like tickling higher-level ones."
    "The instructor also mentioned that Shen Tingyu had been in his class group. He was the strongest he had ever seen in controlling mental power weapons like guns and mechas, earning endless praise from the old instructors who looked at him as if he were a treasured asset."
    "Hearing about Shen Tingyu, Xu Qingran's fighting spirit was ignited."
    "He remembered the thin line he had seen that night in the Sirius System, believing that if Shen Tingyu could do it, so could he, Xu Qingran."
    "'...Sigh.'"
    "If only the host could show such initiative in seducing his targets."
    "The system was metaphorically wiping tears."
    ·
    "Meanwhile, the dean called an emergency meeting with the academy's instructors late at night."
    "The simultaneous appearance of Lu Cheng and Shen Tingyu had quickly caught the students' attention. Given the rare presence of such elite figures, they naturally hoped to provide extra care to Xu Qingran, while also striving to secure more opportunities for the other students."
    "After all, the more formidable the students from their academy, the more solidified the school's status and reputation."
    "Therefore, after discussion, it was unanimously decided to select and adjust students based on their comprehensive performance over the past six months. This would not only motivate students in the lower classes to catch up but also ensure those in the higher classes remained diligent."
    "Most importantly, it provided a legitimate reason to move Xu Qingran to the advanced class. This arrangement allowed both Lu Cheng and Shen Tingyu to teach at the same time without offending either faction—perfect!"
    "Thus, Xu Qingran found himself reassigned to the advanced class group, now classmates with Ni Xiaoyuan, Lin Qianmou, and others, including Feng Wei."
    "Unaware of the real reasons behind the class change, Feng Wei excitedly slapped Xu Qingran's back, 'Incredible! We actually got the chance to be moved up!'"
    "'The academy should have done this long ago; it's only fair!'"
    "In this new class, their classmates curiously observed the two newcomers."
    "Only Lin Qianmou's gaze seemed different, appearing somewhat displeased and even resentful."
    "The day before, the rumored General Shen and Major General Lu had appeared together."
    "Xu Qingran found it amusing."
    "He marveled at the academy's decision to have them teach simultaneously, admiring their ability to feign ignorance. The result was that their teaching didn't really happen, overshadowed by their 'sparring'."
    "Mostly it was Lu Cheng's one-sided targeting."
    "When Shen Tingyu aimed at a target on the practice field, Lu Cheng would shoot it first, exploding the target Shen had been aiming at."
    "Afterward, Lu Cheng solemnly told everyone, 'The battlefield is unpredictable. Remember, our enemies are powerful alien races that won't give us time to leisurely draw and aim our weapons.'"
    "When Shen Tingyu demonstrated his ability to compress mental power for attacks, Lu Cheng criticized him: 'Overcomplicating things, making it unnecessarily hard.'"
    "When Shen Tingyu suggested having a student try a defensive maneuver against mental power weapons, Lu Cheng bluntly proposed, 'Why not demonstrate it ourselves?'"
    "Even the usually calm General Shen seemed provoked and didn't refuse. What was meant to be a demonstration almost turned into a bloody battle, guns pointed at each other's heads. The dramatic day ended, but the advanced class students, quick learners, managed to glean some lessons from their juvenile duel."
    "To give students from other classes an opportunity to improve, the school arranged for numerous mechanical spheres to record the teaching sessions in full. This allowed students from other classes to enhance their skills and conduct research through these recordings, even though they couldn't experience the learning firsthand."
    "After viewing the first day's recordings, the academy quickly switched to a rotation system for voluntary teaching, changing every week."
    "Xu Qingran, dining with Shen Tingyu in the cafeteria, couldn't help but smile broadly."
    "He wore the expression of someone thoroughly enjoying a joke."
    "Shen Tingyu's fingers lightly tapped on the table, 'You seem quite amused.'"
    "He thought about the dean's utilitarian approach, using the pretext of 'not wanting to waste their precious time' to have the off-duty instructor guide the close-combat weapons group."
    "In any case, the academy had certainly benefited from this arrangement."
    "Shen Tingyu added, 'Aren't you going to keep an eye on your childhood friend? I feel like he might actually burst into my dorm one day and finish me off.'"
    "Xu Qingran's smile faded, 'If that really happens, I'll mock you at your grave.'"
    "'Heartless,' Shen Tingyu remarked, 'and to think, I got involved in this mess because of you.'"
    "Other students in the cafeteria occasionally glanced over at their corner."
    "Although everyone was aware of Xu Qingran and Shen Tingyu's relationship, the sight of them dining together was still an eye-catching spectacle they couldn't resist observing."
    "Xu Qingran paused his eating, chuckling softly at Shen Tingyu, 'General Shen, you have quite thick skin yourself.'"
    "The day after their communication, Xu Qingran awoke with a belated realization of something amiss. Reflecting on it, Shen Tingyu wasn't one to readily agree to his request. The so-called favor should be the least of his concerns, yet he had agreed so readily."
    "Thinking further, he suspected it might also involve directives from the Golden Wing Corps' higher-ups."
    "Xu Qingran somewhat regretted his impulsive call to Shen Tingyu, feeling like he had been subtly outmaneuvered."
    "Shen Tingyu watched the emotionless smile play on Xu Qingran's lips and responded with a chuckle of his own."
    "It had been a while since he'd seen his future nephew-in-law, and he found himself missing him. Knowing each other's flaws all too well, Shen Tingyu always felt he could relax a bit more in Xu Qingran's presence."
    "If only—he wouldn't become an E-type."
    "This thought unexpectedly flitted through his mind."
    "Shen Tingyu felt it would be a pity to reach a point of mutual disgust and deadly conflict with such a person."
    "The sound of a plate being placed on the table interrupted their brief silence."
    "A young man about Xu Qingran's age sat down with his meal, grumbling, 'It's unfair, you had the chance to dine with General Shen and didn't invite me, your good brother!'"
    "Shen Tingyu glanced at the newcomer."
    "He recognized Feng Wei, the young master of the Feng family from the Silver Dragon Corps."
    "Feng Wei greeted him cheerfully, 'Hello, General! Qingran and I are fated classmates, even after switching classes. We look forward to the teachings from you and Major General Lu!'"
    "Shen Tingyu first looked at Xu Qingran."
    "As Xu Qingran also looked up, their eyes met, and Xu Qingran smiled at him, his peach blossom eyes sparkling with a captivating charm."
    "After a few seconds, Shen Tingyu warmly replied to Feng Wei, 'Hello.'"
    "The meal proceeded quite harmoniously."
    "Once they had finished eating and exchanged a few casual words, they parted ways to their respective accommodations."
    "The special instruction officially began the following week with Lu Cheng."
    "With Shen Tingyu absent, Lu Cheng regained his composure and taught earnestly. He provided appropriate guidance and adjustments to all students in need, without showing any special treatment towards any particular individual."
    "For Xu Qingran, this kind of interaction was just what he needed."
    "Being from another world, he was unfamiliar with the use of mental power guns, so he stayed at the training ground until the very end each day. Lu Cheng also remained, dutifully offering him suitable tips."
    "With his relentless practice, Xu Qingran no longer experienced disorienting vibrations in his head when deploying mental power attacks, and his body was beginning to adapt to the bursts of mental energy."
    "What he needed to enhance next was his aim and concentration of power."
    "Lu Cheng advised, 'You need to focus your controlling intent on the special bracelet on your wrist to better harness it.'"
    "'Your mental pool isn't as high-leveled as mine, so don't try to mimic those high-explosive forms yet.'"
    "'Your physique is prone to injury, so be extra careful with the recoil of mental power when firing.'"
    "Xu Qingran didn't speak much but took his advice to heart."
    "His quiet, focused, and obedient demeanor momentarily took Lu Cheng back to the times they had spent together. He regretted that they hadn't become each other's partners, but he sincerely didn't want to lose Xu Qingran as a friend."
    "After a few words of caution, Lu Cheng's voice softened."
    "'...Xu Qingran, be mindful of your mental energy consumption. You have more training tomorrow, it's time to rest.'"
    "Immersed in training, Xu Qingran gradually came back to reality."
    "He glanced at Lu Cheng, nodded, and set down his practice weapon, 'Okay.'"
    "He didn't contradict Lu Cheng's instructions."
    "In the blink of an eye, a week passed, and Xu Qingran evolved from a student who had no concept of using mental power guns to one who could steadily control and accurately aim at targets."
    "Lu Cheng was astounded by the speed of his progress."
    "When Xu Qingran was younger, to improve his self-defense abilities and fight back against bullies, I tried arranging training for him."
    "But his physical fitness was really poor. He had no interest in combat or fighting; he preferred reading, painting, and other gentle arts. Seeing him cry after each training session, I eventually stopped forcing him."
    "So, I always thought military academy would be a tough challenge for Xu Qingran."
    "I never expected him to endure so well, silently bearing even the hardest tasks, his deep amber eyes radiating an innate resilience. Suddenly, it seemed he would become someone beyond my expectations."
    "Unexpectedly, there was a sense of loss in my heart."
    "In a week, the advanced class students mastered the basics. Therefore, in the week Shen Tingyu led them, the training ground was moved to the legendary underground base."
    "The underground base indeed had many studies on alien species."
    "Most were isolated, not easily accessible to them, observable only from afar through windows."
    "Within the base was a training ground almost the size of an arena."
    "Equipped with a special training system, it used collected data to simulate and generate recent formidable alien species encountered by the military. This facilitated practical training for the students while minimizing resource waste and unnecessary killings."
    "On his way to the training ground, Xu Qingran encountered a familiar face."
    "'Oh, young master, we meet again.'"
    "The elderly soldier, unusually not smoking today, stood by the machine controlling the training ground's doors, coolly waving at him."
    "It was Chen Bin, whom he had met a few times before."
    "Xu Qingran raised an eyebrow and asked, 'Weren't you working at the Etar facility?'"
    "'Yes,' Chen Bin grimaced, 'but then they felt Etar had enough staff. Given the recent unrest on Helan Star, I was transferred here.'"
    "'Though as an old soldier, I can't contribute much.'"
    "While saying this, Chen Bin made sure to clarify to Xu Qingran, 'This is really a coincidence; I didn't expect you'd be at the academy. Please don't see me as some strange old man.'"
    "Xu Qingran smiled."
    "However, he hadn't heard anything about Helan Star being in turmoil."
    "Chen Bin shook his head, 'Helan Star is the most peripheral habitable planet in the Celestial System, even its bound star is the smallest. Its environment is ideal for cultivating and researching alien species, naturally making it a target for some of their kin to break into.'"
    "Other students from the same class group, overhearing the topic, involuntarily stopped to listen."
    "Chen Bin glanced at the group of students with their naïve and foolish expressions, continuing, 'Currently, the Kaian Empire's defense against alien species invasions primarily relies on ultrasonic systems.'"
    "'A few weeks ago, one of Helan Star's major ultrasonic stations was attacked, so the planet's overall defenses are weaker than before. Repairing it is quite troublesome; it could take up to half a year to fully restore, leaving Helan Star in a heightened state of alert during this period.'"
    "Xu Qingran showed little reaction upon hearing this."
    "In contrast, his classmates around him displayed shock and fear, murmuring amongst themselves."
    "Seeing their reaction, Chen Bin added slowly, 'The military academy is based here also considering that Helan Star, being an important research base, can readily organize real battle drills for you in case of emergencies, without worrying about mobilizing sufficient military forces.'"
    "Some were already imagining a fierce battle, clutching their cheeks in terror, 'It's over, I've just learned to use a gun. If anything happens now, I'm sure to be the first casualty!'"
    "'Chen Bing, stop scaring them,' intervened a junior instructor, noticing the commotion and walking over with a sigh and a shake of his head, pushing them forward, 'If you're worried about being useless in actual combat, better intensify your training!'"
    "Inside, Shen Tingyu, dressed in an elegant ink-gold uniform, had been waiting for some time."
    "As Xu Qingran entered with the crowd, he overheard someone whispering nearby, 'Ah, General Shen really makes that Golden Wing uniform look good.'"
    "'I'm from the Silver Dragon, but this makes me itch to switch to Golden Wing.'"
    "'Actually, Major General Lu's Silver Dragon outfit looks pretty good too.'"
    "A student lamented, 'Wuwuwu, in the end, it all depends on who wears it...'"
    "From a distance, Xu Qingran glanced at Shen Tingyu, whose smile was faint and unusually devoid of his usual warmth."
    "Once everyone was assembled, he nodded to the junior instructor leading the session, 'Let's start.'"
    "With Chen Bin's assistance, the instructor 'summoned' a temporarily extinct alien insect species from around the Empire. Roughly the size of an adult human, these creatures had a soft outer shell, making them easier low-level targets. Their high mobility, however, made them perfect for their current stage of attack training."
    "Shen Tingyu personally demonstrated the task for them."
    "Dozens of insects, each capable of moving up to 5-60 meters per second, were swiftly eliminated by Shen before they could even approach the defined 'alert zone.'"
    "His mental power attacks were exceptionally pure and efficient – simple yet powerful, precise and swift, so impressively executed that everyone envied his skill."
    "After the demonstration, Shen Tingyu randomly selected a student from the crowd for a practical example."
    "Chen Bin manipulated the controls, summoning five or six insects of the same species."
    "The student, visibly nervous and trembling, managed to hit one. Although the mental power projection was somewhat scattered, it met the system's standards and successfully neutralized the low-level insect."
    "However, at the same time, the remaining generated insects had already pounced on him, knocking him down. The generated species in the training ground, from defense and attack to tactile sensations, were nearly perfectly replicated, and the disgusting sticky sensation terrified the student into a loud cry."
    "Shen Tingyu remained unmoved, coldly observing without any intention to assist, until Chen Bin retracted the generated insects. The student who fell to the ground was already pale-faced."
    "Everyone was shocked by the scene, as if he had been truly attacked, and remained speechless for a long time."
    "It was only when the usually amiable man spoke in a cold, unrecognizable tone: 'You have only a month and a half for this course.'"
    "'In the past half month, is this all you've managed to achieve?'"
    "The speaker was clearly extremely disappointed."
    "His gaze on them lacked any trace of his usual approachability."
    "The training ground fell into a deathly silence."
    "Then, Shen Tingyu's calm voice delivered a piercing truth: 'With your level of skill, sending you to the battlefield would be a waste of resources even just to retrieve your bodies.'"