Chapter 27: Doubts

Chapter 27: Doubts
    [He's definitely good-looking, but why does he look a bit like that crazy Xu Qingran? Am I seeing things?]
    The comment section overflows with question marks.
    Thanks to the previous mishap of joining the wrong live stream, most netizens familiar with the military circles now recognize Xu Qingran's distinctive appearance. Yet, they still refuse to believe that the person on the screen is the same Xu Qingran they know from Silver Dragon Camp.
    Simultaneously, a familiar scene reappears on the front page of the Star Edge forum.
    The title is equally blunt and straightforward:
    [Stop scaring us with ghost stories in the comments!]
    [Xu Qingran is famously known for being super F-grade weak, how could he possibly be in a military school? Even in a fantasy story, that's a bit too far-fetched!]
    While the conversation continues, the reporter's eyes suddenly light up as she spots her first interview candidate.
    "Hello there, are you a new student at Grantis Military Academy? Would you mind giving us a brief interview?" she asks eagerly.
    【......】
    As the reporter speaks, the camera shifts to another individual.
    The young man in the frame is dressed in a light yellow jacket and fitted jeans. Removing his sun hat, he reveals a stunningly handsome face with long lashes that flutter up to reveal captivating, peach blossom eyes that gradually fill with a light smile.
    Facing the camera, he cocks a corner of his mouth in an expression mixing pride and mischief: "Sure, why not."
    The comments and live chat fall silent for a few seconds.
    In that moment, countless minds connect in disbelief.
    — Holy smokes!!!
    Chapter 27: Doubts
    [He's definitely good-looking, but why does he look a bit like that crazy Xu Qingran? Am I seeing things?]
    The comment section overflows with question marks.
    Thanks to the previous mishap of joining the wrong live stream, most netizens familiar with the military circles now recognize Xu Qingran's distinctive appearance. Yet, they still refuse to believe that the person on the screen is the same Xu Qingran they know from Silver Dragon Camp.
    Simultaneously, a familiar scene reappears on the front page of the Star Edge forum.
    The title is equally blunt and straightforward:
    "Will it be someone with outstanding physical abilities, exceptional spiritual pool talent, or a standout from the early elimination assessments?"
    Everyone was waiting, equally curious.
    And then Xu Qingran slightly tilted his head, his eyes puzzled, "Huh?"
    "Not exactly. I was just considering my options, not dead set on the Military Academy. But when they invited me, I accepted."
    【............】
    [Who understands the Fist Stone update?]
    [Little chicken, just keep boasting! Military Academy invitations are for top-tier talents like Colonel Lu and Admiral Shen. You, a frail sprout, thinking you got an invitation!!!]
    The reporter was momentarily stunned by Xu Qingran's audacious response, then proceeded to ask him a few standard questions: "It's a great achievement to get into Grandis Military Academy. What goals have you set for yourself in the upcoming year?"
    "Goals?" Xu Qingran pondered for a moment, his smile sweet, "Well, to aim for pinning Shen Tingyu to the ground as soon as possible. A fair and square bout, of course."
    [Never seen such arrogance!!]
    [Xu Qingran's words are his own, nothing to do with us fans. If you want to criticize him, leave us out of it.]
    [Who's getting pinned down, really? Xu Qingran, do you even know what you're saying?]
    [I mean, it's not so bad if he's pinned down by Admiral Shen, but in bed (covers mouth)...]
    [? The sister above??]
    [All this shipping will only lead to disappointment. This pairing is destined for a Bad End!]
    During the height of the online frenzy, the reporter prepared to wrap up her interview with Xu Qingran: "Okay, one last question. Do you have any message for our online audience?"
    Typically, at this point, most interviewees would say something about striving hard, serving the people, protecting the nation, or bringing honor to their family - positive remarks like that.
    Xu Qingran, however, grinned cockily at the camera and said: "Fools, I told you I have a school to climb too. Now you believe it, right?"
    After speaking, he put his cap back on and, under the astonished gazes of the reporter and cameraman, slung his bag over his shoulder and walked off towards the academy. With such an explosive interview to start, the rest of the television interviews seemed mundane by comparison.
    Discussion about Xu Qingran showing up at the Military Academy erupted on major forums and social platforms, with trending headlines—
    #How on Earth Did Xu Qingran Get Into Grandis Military Academy?!#
    Some speculated:
    "I don't believe it. He must have just gone for a visit!!"
    "It's fake for sure! What qualifications does Xu Qingran have to attend the Military Academy?"
    "Maybe he's there for a job like sweeping floors or cleaning toilets?"
    Others who hadn't caught up with the earlier news were curious:
    "Xu Qingran? Who is that? What happened to him?"
    "So popular, is he some celebrity who's joined the military?"
    "Isn't it normal for a commoner to get into a military academy? Why the fuss? Does it always have to be about the children of military or political families?"
    Netizens at the forefront of gossip eagerly explained, bringing up Xu Qingran's love triangle with Xu Qing'an and Lu Cheng, the engagement and academic celebration controversies, and the Xu family's secrets, catapulting Xu Qingran back into the spotlight.
    The comments section was buzzing with discussion.
    [My guess is he used the Shen family's connections for a special kind of assessment.]
    [Even with F-grade spiritual aptitude, as long as he's physically fit, he could barely pass the physical tests and maybe serve as a junior guard after graduation, right?]
    [Don't spread rumors; Grandis Military Academy makes no exceptions for anyone!]
    [Just a heads up, smearing the reputation of the Military Academy is a serious offense.]
    And other headlines like—
    #Who is the Winner in Xu Qingran and Xu Qing'an's Academic Showdown?#
    #Is Xu Qingran Really Worthy of a Graduation Celebration?#
    Inside Grandis Medical Academy.
    Xu Qing'an, seated in the auditorium for new students, wore a polite and friendly smile, but his hand clutching the phone was tightly clenched.
    ...How could it be, with Xu Qingran's terrible qualifications, how did he get into the Military Academy?!
    The Military Academy was a dream for many, especially those at Grandis. It signified recognition of one's capabilities, with graduates capable of fighting on the battlefield and potentially climbing the ranks to high positions if they had enough talent.
    Who with ambition wouldn't want to become a respected officer like Lu Cheng or Shen Tingyu?
    Although Xu Qing'an also had S-grade mental aptitude, he was an I-type, more inclined towards academic intelligence, making his mental strength unsuitable for military use, hence his focus on the highly regarded medical field within the I-types.
    Another reason was his awareness of Xu Qingran's interest in the Medical Academy. Xu Qingran might not excel in spiritual power but was academically strong, capable of joining high-value research teams even without surgery specialization.
    The cheating accusation against Xu Qingran was also a setup by Xu Qing'an. Lu Cheng's father, who favored him over Xu Qingran, was manipulated by Xu Qing'an's instigation, using Lu Wen Nian's dislike for Xu Qingran as leverage. With Lu Wen Nian's bias, no real investigation was needed to find an excuse to dismiss Xu Qingran.
    After all, the Medical Academy was brimming with talent; it wouldn't miss one F-grade Xu Qingran.
    But he never anticipated that Xu Qingran would instead go to the Military Academy!
    Regardless of the prestige of the school one gets into, those admitted to Grandis Military Academy overshadow all others in an era where martial prowess reigns supreme. The trending topics seemed laughable because there was no comparison between the two.
    Moreover... compared to his still uncertain military medical career, Xu Qingran had a higher chance of interacting and rekindling things with Lu Cheng, especially given Lu Cheng's growing coldness towards him. If they ended up fighting side by side, old feelings might resurface...
    The opening speech hadn't started yet, and people around were also on their phones, following the trending news, occasionally casting curious glances his way.
    Over the years, Xu Qing'an had mastered maintaining a calm exterior, not letting his inner turmoil and resentment show. But his years in university were unlikely to be as smooth and according to plan as he had hoped.
    ·
    CS Celestial Series - Sea Blue Star.
    Xu Qingran strolled along the neatly arranged shady paths leading deeper into the campus, surrounded by other bewildered freshmen curiously observing their new environment. Some, already acquainted in pairs or small groups, chattered and laughed loudly.
    The gates within the academy were imposing.
    One side golden, the other silver, symbolizing the convergence and union of the two camps at this place.
    In Grandis, students from all colleges, including the Military Academy, were not divided by camp. In fact, upon graduation, Military Academy students have the right to reselect their camp affiliation. Hence, everyone refrained from wearing any strongly camp-representative items, as getting caught would lead to immediate expulsion.
    Several senior students were on duty at the gate, nodding and greeting the new students as they entered.
    When Xu Qingran approached, however, he was stopped: "Wait, you are...?"
    The seniors, graduates from the previous year, were mainly there to guide lost or confused freshmen and prevent accidents or unrest. Xu Qingran, appearing exceptionally pale, delicate, and refined, looked more like someone preparing to enter an art school to become a star than a military cadet.
    "Excuse me, student, could you show us your ID for verification?" one of the seniors asked.
    Since arriving on the exclusive shuttle for military students, Xu Qingran had passed through numerous identity checks. Like others, most were allowed to pass directly.
    He probably understood their skepticism, so without fuss, he handed over his Military Academy ID.
    A senior sister caught a glimpse of his face as he looked up and involuntarily gasped, covering her mouth, "Xu Qingran!"
    Instantly, all eyes turned toward her.
    A teammate, not quite up to date with gossip, asked, "Who's Xu Qingran?"
    Flushing, she met Xu Qingran's mildly amused gaze and stammered, "He's the one I mentioned before, the talk of the town in the Silver Wing Camp..."
    Realization dawned on her peers, and their looks towards Xu Qingran were filled with even more astonishment.
    This astonishment turned to shock as his ID was verified.
    Huh?
    "Isn't that young master supposed to be sheltered in a wealthy family from a young age, with rather weak qualifications? How did he end up at their Military Academy?"
    —"Can he even handle it?!"
    During the ID verification, the path leading to the academy suddenly buzzed with commotion.
    The surrounding crowd gasped and murmured in admiration, their eyes gleaming as they focused on a familiar and revered figure.
    Xu Qingran also looked on.
    Among the crowd was indeed a young man who stood out, dressed in a wine-red long-sleeved shirt, his hair an uncommon shade of orange-brown. Sparse sunlight filtering through the leaves added a refreshing glow to his smile as he conversed with others.
    He exuded a calm and gentle aura, seemingly affecting those he passed with a soothing presence that relaxed the mind.
    The young man walked into the campus under many watchful eyes, followed by a number of others seizing the opportunity to keep up. After retracting his gaze, Xu Qingran noticed the seniors at the gate looking enviously at the young man's departing figure.
    Curious, he asked, "Who is that person?"
    As soon as he asked, the gazes of those at the gate collectively turned to him in shock and disbelief.
    The senior holding his ID card asked in a tremulous voice, "You don't know?!"
    "That's Lin Qianmu from the Lin family of the Golden Wing Camp!"
    Xu Qingran paused, then said quietly, "I'm from the Silver Dragon Camp."
    Isn't it normal not to know?
    The senior then added, "Even the Silver Dragon should know about him. When he was identified as an SS-grade D-type soul last year, the entire empire was flooded with his news!"
    Lin Qianmu had been groomed as a warrior by the Lin family since childhood. Even before his soul type was determined, he was already a child proficient in both literature and martial arts. His soul later unexpectedly settled as a D-type, but with a high spiritual pool tier and a solid martial foundation, he was the military's ideal candidate, capable in combat and support.
    For students of the Military Academy, their favorite companions are not the powerful E-types, but the gentle and considerate D-types. Therefore, it was no surprise that Lin Qianmu quickly became one of the most popular freshmen of the new academic year.
    Xu Qingran pondered this.
    Another senior nearby wistfully sighed, "It's a pity he's already taken. We can only admire from afar, without any chance to pursue."
    Xu Qingran disagreed, "As long as there's no marriage, there are always possibilities."
    The senior's eyes widened in disbelief, "Are you crazy? Lin Qianmu's fiancé is Su Wenming. Who dares to snatch someone from him?!"
    Xu Qingran paused for a moment before asking nonchalantly, "And who is Su Wenming? Is he an E-type?"
    There was a moment of silence outside.
    The group looked at Xu Qingran as if he were an alien, baffled by how this sheltered young master managed to get into the Military Academy.
    The senior sister, holding her forehead, explained, "The youngest son of the main family of the Golden Wing Camp, Su Wenming, is the current Major General of the Golden Wing Total Camp."
    "He's not an E-type but stands out among the 3S-tier individuals. To bypass the cumbersome assessment process for the Military Academy, he voluntarily entered the Evil Tower, challenged the combat arena in Tower 2, and after winning, accepted a special invitation from the Academy."
    "Shortly after graduating, Major General Su led his troops to repel an attack by the insect race on the Virgin series territory. He's one of the most talented individuals in the military. With such a fiancé like Su Wenming, who would dare to mess with Lin Qianmu?"
    Seeing Xu Qingran's thoughtful look, as if trying hard to absorb the information, they shook their heads in resignation.
    The senior in charge of verification sighed and handed back his ID card, "You're cleared, go ahead. Men's dormitory is to the left, and assembly time is the day after tomorrow at 1 PM. Don't be late."
    Xu Qingran took his ID and entered, leaving the onlookers worried.
    "Those arms and legs, such tender skin, he looks like he's never trained. Can he really handle it?"
    "Won't he fail the upcoming classification assessment and end up being carried out to the hospital?"
    "Hard to tell, there's always someone like that every year..."
    The gossip-loving senior sister, taking advantage of the pre-official school days when their phones and entertainment devices hadn't been confiscated yet, quietly scrolled through the latest buzz by the gate. It turned out that Xu Qingran's enrollment had already been discovered outside, and even after Lin Qianmu's interview, the discussion about this young master was still more intense.
    After browsing for a while, she suddenly exclaimed, "Oh my god!"
    Before her friends could ask, she revealed the shocking news, "Grantham Medical College has issued a statement to clarify the rumors about Xu Qingran cheating!"
    Lu Wenian, an authoritative professor at the Medical College, often had many graduating students record messages of gratitude for him. Reportedly this morning, while he was teaching senior students, he intended to play some of these messages, only to accidentally play Xu Qingran's voice.
    Instead of praise, it was a sarcastic reproach that publicly humiliated him.
    On the same day, not only did the Medical College receive news of Xu Qingran's admission to the Military Academy, but they also faced pressure from the higher echelons of the Golden Wing Camp, demanding they judge the truth based on Xu Qingran's past performance, rather than slander him.
    Finally, under swift review and external pressure, they had to issue an official statement on various platforms and their website, offering a formal apology to Xu Qingran.
    Netizens were still digesting the news of Xu Qingran's entrance into the Military Academy when the Medical College dropped another bombshell, leaving everyone stunned.
    —"That's the Medical College of Grantham University we're talking about! The proudest faculty that never admits its faults, now apologizing to someone? It's like they've been possessed!"
    A sharp-eyed netizen pointed out the biggest mystery in this twist.
    [Wait, isn't Xu Qingran from the Silver Dragon Camp? Why did the original poster say it was 'pressure from the Golden Wing Camp'? Who exerted this pressure?]
    [...Silence.]
    [The silence of that family member above, it's truly earth-shattering.]
    [So, is this the reward for a good night's sleep? (Just kidding)]
    [What sleep? Who slept with whom? What juicy gossip did I miss?!]
    Xu Qingran, who had no interest in browsing the internet, was still unaware of these matters.
    He had walked a long way to what seemed to be the male dormitory, guided by the reminder from the senior at the gate and the campus signs. The dormitory area was vast, with about a hundred buildings in sight. Outside the area, there were several self-service machines where one could get information about their dorm building by swiping their identity card.
    Building 79 - Floor 6 - Room 6038.
    Xu Qingran followed other students preparing to move in, riding the dormitory area's exclusive shuttle to the deeper buildings. It wasn't until a little later that he saw the building marked with the number 79, which was about a dozen stories tall.
    Arriving at the sixth floor, he could hear the hearty laughter of boys from inside Room 6038 even before he reached it. The door was open outward; he lifted his eyes to confirm the room number before striding in with his backpack.
    The dorm room was a four-person space with bunk beds and was quite spacious, but it only had a toilet and no shower.
    When he entered, three well-built men were already sitting inside, laughing loudly about something. They paused upon seeing him, and then the one wearing a bright red shirt asked, "Hey, little brother, are you a new military student too?"
    "Yes," Xu Qingran replied in a calm voice, tossing his heavy bag onto the unoccupied upper bunk to his right.
    His roommates were sizing him up.
    The more they looked, the more surprised they became, somewhat doubtful if he had enrolled in the wrong school.
    They exchanged glances.
    Before Xu Qingran arrived, the three of them had been debating who would be the weakest in the dorm. Now, they seemed to have silently reached a consensus.
    The short and stocky one stood up, slapping his thigh: "Great, now that everyone's here, let's do a round of introductions again, shall we?"
    Xu Qingran quickly memorized their names.
    The short, stocky man who initiated the introductions was named Zhang Zhihe.
    The tall and robust man in red, standing about 1.8 meters, was Ren Ping.
    And the one who was particularly handsome and closest in age to him was Liu Wenxing.
    Then it was his turn to state his name.
    After hearing it, Zhang Zhihe laughed heartily: "Xu Qingran? Your name is exactly the same as that Xu Dashao who was the talk of the town recently."
    "But I heard his psychic level is only F-grade, so he definitely couldn't be here."
    The other two, not much into gossip, asked, "What gossip?"
    "You know, Xu Dashao from the Silver Dragon Camp, the notorious bully... Huh? Why is he trending again? Let me check..." As Zhang Zhihe scrolled through his phone, his smile suddenly vanished, and he looked at Xu Qingran with a mix of shock and fear.
    Xu Qingran responded with a slight smile.
    Unaware of the full story, Ren Ping chimed in: "Ah, now I remember! He's the one hopelessly in love with Colonel Lu Cheng, who famously wailed, caused scenes, and even threatened to hang himself for him!"
    "Oh come on, such a pampered brat could never end up in a military academy as our roommate, right?"
    Zhang Zhihe silently handed his phone over to him.
    It didn't take long for Ren Ping to fall silent as well.
    The more perceptive Liu Wenxing tactfully changed the subject: "So, after all the hustle today, I barely ate anything. Are you guys hungry? How about we head to the cafeteria together?"
    The two, one tall and one short, nodded in agreement: "Yeah, we're starving."
    "So, uh... Xu Dashao, will you join us?" Zhang Zhihe asked, somewhat sheepishly.
    "Just call me Xu Qingran," he replied, "I'll go."
    He was hungry too.
    After saying this, he turned to leave, and his roommates collectively exhaled in relief, then felt something was off.
    ——Xu Dashao looked so delicate; how did they, several burly men, get momentarily overpowered by him just now?!
    The cafeteria was a bit of a walk from the dormitory.
    It was lunchtime, and everyone was keen to follow the age-old tradition of valuing food as a priority. After getting their meals, they found only a few sparse seats remaining.
    Only a distant corner still had visibly empty spots.
    At a large table capable of seating seven or eight, a man with deep blue hair dined alone. Others seemed to avoid him like the plague, keeping their distance and not even glancing his way.
    Carrying his tray, Xu Qingran headed straight there.
    He had no ulterior motive; it just seemed spacious and comfortable to sit there.
    Seeing where he was headed, Zhang Zhihe and the others visibly tensed, hastily trying to dissuade him: "Qingran, let's wait for another table to free up instead."
    Xu Qingran, puzzled, asked, "Are those seats reserved?"
    Zhang Zhihe, sweating nervously: "...Not exactly, but the thing is, the guy sitting there is an E-type from our cohort. It's said that E-types have bad tempers, and nobody dares to provoke them."
    Xu Qingran raised an eyebrow.
    So that was it.
    Zhang Zhihe thought that after explaining, Xu Qingran would obediently wait. Instead, he strode confidently towards the corner, leaving them in shock, unable to intervene in time.
    As Xu Qingran approached, he felt the psychic field emanating from the sullen-faced boy. Indeed, for most, this would be a provocation, making them feel uncomfortable and tense due to their relative weakness.
    But he just wanted to eat.
    He had just set his tray down diagonally across from the man when the bench in front of him suddenly shook with a force, like an angry person throwing a tantrum with intimidating gestures.
    Xu Qingran, as if anticipating trouble, lifted his foot and used his psychic power to press the bench down the moment it started to rise.
    The metal bench made a loud noise as it hit the ground.
    The noise in the cafeteria ceased for a moment.
    Xu Qingran glanced sideways; the man with blue hair was giving him a gloomy and repulsive look.
    The system inside him was reciting mantras single-mindedly.
    It had gotten used to this; accustomed to its host's knack for stirring up trouble.
    Then, Xu Qingran's gaze turned even darker than the other's: "What's the problem? Do you own the cafeteria?"