Chapter 11: The Arena

    Xu Qingran's action of eating the bread suddenly halted.
    He was certain he didn't know the man.
    Still, he lowered his gaze to hide his eyes and calmly made an excuse, "Sorry, I've had a lot on my plate recently and have forgotten many past events."

    The man's expression wasn't too disappointed, perhaps expecting this response.
    He said, "A lot has happened indeed, and we haven't seen each other since your mother passed away. It's normal that you don't remember."

    The man, only slightly older than him, looked at him with a reassured smile, "You're all grown up now, looking very much like your mother."
    "Let me reintroduce myself then, I am Qi Heqian."

    Seeing Xu Qingran's still hesitant expression, the young man added, "I'm the orphan you and your mother rescued in a heavy rain during your childhood. Later, I was adopted by your second uncle, and now, strictly speaking, I'm your cousin."

    After Qi Heqian finished speaking, flashes of memories suddenly crossed Xu Qingran's mind.
    On a night of torrential rain, a woman leading a child of four or five years old encountered a drenched, homeless boy crouching at the entrance of an alley. He was so skinny that he was almost skin and bones, with bruises and wounds all over his body.
    Despite shivering in the cold themselves, they were protectively holding a creature that looked like a kitten.

    Pretending to recall, Xu Qingran casually asked, "I remember now. How's the cat we saved doing?"
    As expected, Qi Heqian did not suspect him, laughing heartily, "It's doing great, lively and active. Before I came to this tower, it even accompanied me on a few missions, taking down 'devils'."
    Xu Qingran: ?

    Have cats in this world evolved to the point of fighting extraterrestrial aliens?
    "I've heard about what happened recently," Qi Heqian suddenly mentioned, "I always told you Lu Cheng was no good, but you insisted on getting involved with him."
    Mentioning Lu Cheng, the smile on his face faded significantly, his eyes even gleaming with a hint of scorn.

    Xu Qingran nodded in agreement, "You're right, so I've come to my senses."
    However, considering the original host's history of passionate love, Qi Heqian obviously didn't take it seriously, his expression turning serious as he said, "Actually, I applied to be transferred to the Evil Tower under the guise of study and observation, mainly to investigate something."
    He paused, then added, "It's related to the true cause of your mother's death."

    Xu Qingran's biological mother, Qi Shengxue, was the only daughter of the Qi family head. Raised amidst immense love and affection, she was kind, cordial, and polite. She even earned her doctorate at a young age, becoming a member of the Empire's Soul Research Team.

    She passed away around the time Xu Qingran was seven, allegedly due to severe depression, culminating in suicide at home. However, Qi Heqian had met her when he was young; though their time together was brief, her optimism and proactive approach to life were evident.
    No matter how severe the setbacks, she knew how to balance her psyche, prioritizing her career and her child.

    How could she, who adored Xu Qingran so much, abandon him at a young age, especially knowing her husband had affairs, and leave him to face life alone?
    To Qi Heqian, Qi Shengxue was an important lifesaver. Suspecting foul play, he took opportunities over the years to investigate secretly.
    "Later in my investigation, I discovered a psychiatric patient imprisoned in the Evil Tower, who used to work under one of your father's subsidiaries. Just a few days ago, I confronted him with your mother's photo, and he finally admitted he was indeed influenced by your stepmother and father back then."