Chapter 9: The Pretender

    Xu Qingran wasn't just speaking without basis.
    In his past life, from his teen years, Xu Qingran faced intermittent harassment from both genders. Whether through drugging, deceitful schemes to gain his trust, entrapment, persistent nagging, or outright force, he had encountered it all.

Fortunately, by then he had developed the ability to defend himself with his lightning powers, and all those who tried to harm him ultimately met their demise by his hand.

    Contemplating this, he glanced again at the interrogating officer surnamed Niu in front of him.
    Thus, if this officer dared to touch him, even if it meant enduring severe repercussions, Xu Qingran was determined to fight back fiercely.

    The man across the table didn't express disgust or rebuke at Xu's somewhat hostile demeanor, simply stating, "No need, I have no interest in your type."
    His smile was tender and just right, sitting upright with a relaxed poise, embodying elegance, culture, and gentlemanly grace. His calm tone made it seem as if nothing he said could offend.
    Only his deep blue eyes seemed unfathomably deep.
    Xu Qingran met his gaze silently.

    A likable yet insincere gentleman indeed.
    "You must have been informed why you were brought here," the interrogator said, idly playing with a pen that looked like a last-minute prop grabbed before leaving his office.
    His questioning was casual: "Recount for me once more, what did you do?"
    After a moment of thought, Xu Qingran replied slowly, "On my brother's engagement day, I sent a wreath to wish them well. I was concerned the atmosphere might be too dull, so I hired people to liven things up. Then, I sent a letter to my future brother-in-law, my ex-boyfriend, expressing my feelings and best wishes."

    System: "?"
    "My dear host, what are you talking about? You never did those things!"
    Xu Qingran: "I did, I have."
    System: "......"
    The man smiled wryly, asking further, "Is that all?"
    His tone was casual, as if making an offhand remark, but Xu Qingran couldn't help but think of those people in the abandoned factory in District 13 South.
    He replied without changing his expression, "Right, so does the officer also think I should be released?"

    The man laughed again, "First, I'd like to hear your current thoughts."
    "Thoughts?" Xu Qingran raised an eyebrow, "I regret it."
    "I regret just sending a letter, instead of personally ruining the event."
    System: "......"

The handsome interrogator tapped his forefinger lightly on the smooth table a few times before speaking: "If you want to leave, you should say you regret not controlling your emotions, regret acting impulsively, regret harboring pessimistic thoughts."

    "Of course, if you don't want to leave, you can disregard my advice."
    Listening to the man's standard response, Xu Qingran suddenly asked, "Has Officer Niu heard of Shen Tingyu?"

    The unexpected blend of a fake title and a real name in one sentence led the man to pause for a few seconds before replying, "I think, now, there are few in the empire who don't know of him."
    Xu Qingran continued, "I heard he's an E-type who came out of this very Evil Tower, and that he's the only prisoner to have ever left with a perfect 'score'."

    "I'm just curious to know if the officer thinks this record could be broken this year?"
    Shen Tingyu clearly understood the hidden meaning in his question.
    "Alright, you can go," he said, not giving a definite yes or no.
    Xu Qingran was somewhat surprised, as he hadn't been sitting for very long.

    Even compared to the average waiting time in the holding room for other batches, it was quite short. But he was happy to end early, so upon receiving the direction, he left without hesitation.
    After Xu Qingran left, Shen Tingyu remained seated in the room, his eyelids slightly drooped in thought. It wasn't until a junior auditor handed him a tablet that he was asked to provide an evaluation for the young man he had just interrogated.