Gem - Drabble - Finish It Together

Contains: Fluff
_______________________________________

You sigh as you finish yet another chapter of your book, turning the page slowly.
You find yourself looking out of the barn doors, the sun still streaming in.

The animals wander in and out, grazing, looking curiously for any change in their environment.
Some even come lie around you now.

You've made a regular habit of reading in the barn, only because you want to read and like animals.. no other reason that you've been avoiding for the last week.

One of the chickens pecks at the corner of the book, reminding you to start reading again. It's not quite as peaceful as you might like it to be in the barn, nor is the bale of hay you sit on particular comfortable. In fact this book isn't even all that exciting, but you'd rather be doing this than try work up the motivation to finish the extension to your house.

You lower your gaze back to your book and start on the next chapter.
Somewhere outside you hear a commotion, the sheep remaining in the barn go to poke out their heads, listening in to the other sheep presumably making all the noise.
There is drama in the animals home, that you've learnt in your time here.

You know these animals well enough to know no one is hurt, so you don't even make the effort to lift your head from your book.
Sure enough the animals quiet down, even the chicken by your side stops trying to eat the book in your hand.

A shadow falls over you, one too tall to be sheep, and all the cows are in the other field.
You lift your gaze from the page and see a familiar set of overalls, attached to a familiar GeminiTay.

Her hands are set on her hips, eyebrow raised in question.
"You think I wouldn't find you hiding the barn? Rookie mistake." You see the smile hiding behind her stern look, the gleam in her eye telling you she's not entirely serious.

"I'm being productive, looking after the animals and reading. It's called multitasking." You smirk.
Gem nearly cracks a full smile, but manages to maintain her composure. She shifts her weight to lean more on one side, crossing her arms.

"I know where else you could multitask, at home." She extends her hand to you, pulling you forward to your feet.
"This is much more comfy than home." You say, sarcasm clear in your voice.
Gem hums in response.

"Come on, we can finish it today if we get going now. I know you're not really feeling it but once it's done it's done." She encourages.
"I know." You sigh. "I did promise you we'd get it done by the end of the week."
Gem nods, squeezing your hand.

"All we have to do is finish the painting, then that's it. Come finish it with me?" You nod, Gem finally breaking into that smile that you love so much, the smile that you fell for. "Let's go finish our home."