26. Good Genetics

@something44444 

Take Me to Hawaii - A Tratie Fanfiction - Chapter 26 - Good Genetics - Day 3

Katie had only gotten a glimpse of the auditorium before a hand was around her arm. It pulled her away from Travis, down a slope and to the right side of the room. It practically threw her into a chair and-

It was Lou-Ellen's hand.

"Fucking finally!" She exclaimed, looking unimpressed at Katie. Her bleached-blonde bob had been half pulled up into some sort of contraption revealing a bright purple beneath that Katie had never noticed. She had on a black dress that cut off around her knees in accordion pleats. It reminded Katie of Lou-Ellen's prom dress...actually, maybe it was. Did she cut up her prom dress? "Where were you?"

"Getting ready..." Katie explained. The expression on Lou-Ellen's face only told her that it wasn't a good enough excuse. Katie scrambled to find something more reasonable. "I had a nap?"

"Makes sense." Lou-Ellen nodded with a smirk, then a wicked smile dawned across her face, stretching her pink lipstick across her lips. "Given your late night."

She kicked Katie beneath the table, causing her to shoot her a look she'd only ever shot Travis. 

Shel approached the table from behind Katie with a tray in her hands. Upon the plastic were five small cups each filled with a translucent purple liquid. It sloshed mesmerizingly, sort of sparkling in the light, when Shel placed it in the centre of the round table, pushing aside an envelope and pencil.

"Lou! No kicking!" Shel said as she took a seat, crossing one leg over the other before scooching her chair in "Shots acquired." Shel shook her wrist, the blue band wriggling about and she nudged Katie in thanks. Travis must have told them of her involvement, Katie decided. Gratefulness sat on both of the girl's faces. Shel took one of the glasses and placed it before her, Lou-Ellen did the same, placing two other shots in front of the two empty seats between her and Shell. 

It was now that Katie realised all the tables were set out for five people. She let her eyes scan the room, finding almost every seat filled. It was clear she was late. No wonder Lou-Ellen was annoyed. 

The auditorium looked like any entertainment room at a hotel. The entrance - large double doors, inlaid with golden cartography of Hawaii's islands with extravagant and swirling gold handles - was elevated on a platform, two slopes cascading from either side. The right path, that Katie had been dragged down, curved around to meet the floor. The left did the same but with less of a decline.

In the middle of the left path sat the bar. A queue of people formed before it, lining up down the slope. Each person stood close to the wall, allowing the path to remain in use. She scanned the queue hoping to see some of her other friends. They weren't at any of the tables. Or at least not at the ones Katie could see sat down. She stood up.

"You okay?" Lou-Ellen asked, frowning up at her. She placed Katie's shot before her seat, assuming Katie wouldn't do it herself. Katie paid no notice.

Amongst the sea of people, She could spot one person she knew. Will Solace. Unless someone else had hair that was so blonde and shiny it could rival the sun (or be used in a L'Oréal advert.) the future surgeon sat in the middle of the room. With Will located, spotting everyone else became easy.

Nico leaned against his boyfriend, back to Will's shoulder. Katie couldn't tell for certain, but given the blonde's hesitant movements, Nico was probably asleep. Hazel stared at her brother in distaste, likely jealous of his ability to slumber anywhere he wished. Frank sat beside her, deep in conversation with Jason about who knows what. Piper smacked the back of Jason's head gently as she walked past him. His hair spiked up temporarily and he shouted an offended but joking 'oi!' at his ex-girlfriend and brought a hand to the wounded area, she only stuck out her tongue.