Chapter 44

Wei Qian remained motionless as he... accidentally dropped the fishing rod into the water.

He stared at the shallow end of the fishing rod floating on the water's surface for a while, the only sound in his ears being the fine, whispering rain.

After a while, Wei Qian expressionlessly squatted down, rolled up his trousers, and stepped into the water to retrieve the fishing rod.

Wei Zhiyuan had been watching him strangely the whole time, and Wei Qian caught sight of him with a strange calmness in his eyes.

The two of them remained silent, like actors in a silent play.

Wei Qian reeled in the fishing line and hooks, clutching the sharp fish float as if unconsciously scribbling on the soft mud by the shore. With each stroke, he silently counted, seemingly trying to forcibly calm and smooth out his wildly jumping veins.

In the end, a turtle was left on the muddy ground, with an unusually large shell, looking listless and burdened.

Wei Qian felt like there was a razor-sharp blade in his chest, capable of slicing through anything in his way, but at this moment, the advancing blade had nowhere to rest, and he heard a "pu-chi" sound, feeling a hole being pierced in his lungs.

Finally, Wei Qian sat down slowly, took out a few pieces of paper, and slowly wiped the water droplets from the end of the fishing rod. After a while, he deliberately softened his voice a bit, in order to sound reasonable as he spoke, "You're intentionally trying to annoy me, aren't you?"

Wei Zhiyuan remained silent.

Wei Qian: "I want to hear what you're thinking."

Wei Zhiyuan stared at him with that strange look for a while before whispering, "There's someone I've liked for years, I haven't dared to let him know, or let anyone else know, every day... it's etched into my bones—I know what you're going to say, bro, your tone is just like my high school principal's, you want to say that even the most deeply felt emotions can change over time, right?"

Wei Qian's words were interrupted by him, so he could only remain silent with a bitter expression.

Wei Zhiyuan took a deep breath and gave a strange smile, "But a person is always made up of the past, have you ever let anyone truly reside uniquely in your heart? Try it, and you'll see, if you hold him in your heart for a month, that month belongs to him, hold him for a year, the whole year belongs to him, even if things change later on, so what? He has already become a part of me."

Wei Qian pondered carefully for a moment, feeling his heart filled with trivialities, a chaotic mess like a livestock market, where could he possibly fit something as significant as a person?

He could only ruin the mood by emphasizing, "Your parts are made up of cells and tissues, it has nothing to do with another carbon-based organism, don't use such nonsensical metaphors to dodge my question—now, are you done?"

Wei Zhiyuan looked at him helplessly and nodded.

Wei Qian couldn't help but turn his head away from Wei Zhiyuan's gaze. He didn't know if Wei Zhiyuan spoke to others in the same way, but whenever Wei Zhiyuan spoke to him, he always liked to stare directly into his eyes. This prolonged, unobstructed eye contact made even the softest gaze seem intimidating, giving one a feeling as if there was no escape.

Wei Qian took out a cigarette from his pocket, lit it, and exhaled a puff of white smoke as if sighing. It seemed like his temper had been worn down by time and lengthy struggles. Only traces of pent-up anger could be heard in his words, "So let me tell you what I think. I can't understand, I can't accept it. Even if you say it beautifully, my attitude remains the same. Wei Zhiyuan, my advice to you is to go out and ask around. Nine out of ten parents won't accept it, and the remaining one is probably not even biological..."