Chapter 52

Wei Zhiyuan didn't know how he had come to this point, but those days could only be described as "pitch black".

At first, he was angry.

Angry at San Pang, at that unknown girl, and even at little Chosen One who was unaware of the truth.

Wei Zhiyuan felt isolated from the entire world, with no one caring about his painstaking efforts. He saw resignation and forced tolerance in San Pang's expression.

But why did he need others' tolerance?

Had he done anything wrong?

He felt like a traveler braving a snowstorm, groping in the dark, with only that one lighthouse guiding him with its faint, unique light.

And now, they wanted to take even that away from him.

Anger is a fleeting emotion, like grains of sand, either blown away by the wind in no time or settling into deep, stone-like resentment.

Afterwards, Wei Zhiyuan's emotions slid towards the latter.

Resentment was like a seed buried in his heart for twenty years, buried so deep, so suffocating, that even a slight storm would make it burst forth, growing into a towering tree rooted in his flesh and blood.

The intense hatred permeated every corner of his heart—like a corpse, its decayed scent impossible to conceal—even though Wei Zhiyuan was trying hard to hide it, even the usually easygoing Chosen One noticed something was off, lowering his tone whenever he spoke to him.

His resentment was directed at everyone, and thus, distributed among them, appearing less intense, except for Wei Qian.

Wei Zhiyuan himself didn't know how many years it had been, he couldn't even say for sure how deep his feelings for his older brother were, to the point where now he was almost confused between love and hatred.

Love so deep, he wished he could devour his brother’s flesh and drink his blood.

Wei Zhiyuan's mental state was in a dangerously numb and sensitive state, brewing some kind of imminent storm.

Just then, Wei Qian returned.

Wei Qian was still groggy when he got off the plane. He drank a large cup of strong tea at the airport, trying to perk himself up, then rushed to headquarters to report on recent work highlights.

By the time he wearily returned home, it was already past eight in the evening.

The southern heat made him wear only a thin shirt inside, hastily wrapping himself in a coat upon arrival, yet the chilly northern wind continued to sneak into his clothes, filling Wei Qian with cold air as he entered the house, his exposed skin turning pale from the cold.

When Wei Zhiyuan heard the doorbell, his heart began to race.

He walked out as if in a daze, feeling like his older brother standing at the door was a live wire poking into his eyes, causing a sharp pain.

"You're home? I'm freezing to death," Wei Qian glanced at him, then without lifting his head, asked, "Is there anything to eat?"

Wei Zhiyuan couldn't speak. After a while, he mechanically responded and went into the kitchen, grabbed two eggs, and started chopping vegetables, intending to fry the leftover rice.

Wei Qian spoke from outside, "Xiao Yuan, don't bother, just bring me some leftover rice."

Wei Zhiyuan turned a deaf ear.

It's as if he had to do something to maintain his composure on the surface.

Wei Qian thought he hadn't heard, and as the warmth of the room enveloped him, his lazy bones began to relax. He collapsed onto the sofa like a boneless lump, tossing his suitcase aside and turning on the television.