Chapter 58

Wei Qian was simply afraid of Wei Zhiyuan.

Wei Qian was never the type to flee from problems altogether. He always found ways to face them, given that since childhood, if he didn't handle things, no one else would.

But no matter how much he racked his brain, he couldn't come up with a convincing solution to persuade himself. He had no choice but to continue thinking, feeling like his head was about to explode.

Fortunately, it seemed like Wei Zhiyuan also noticed. Since the day they returned from the pond, he stopped constantly bothering Wei Qian. He had his own things to attend to, sometimes leaving the house, sometimes locking himself in his room to work or attend online meetings. Yet somehow, Wei Qian felt that the boy's presence, while not as overt, had become omnipresent!

Wei Zhiyuan's eyes were relatively large in the crowd. They seemed ordinary when open, but when he smiled, they had a hint of peach blossom charm. His gaze could sweep over a large area, substantial and often focused on Wei Qian.

Sometimes gentle, sometimes focused... all of that was bearable. What was unbearable was when Wei Zhiyuan came out to fetch water or snacks; it would remind him of things he shouldn't think about. At these times, his gaze became very explicit, almost bordering on lewd.

Finally, after a weekend of "rest," Wei Qian felt like he had been on edge the whole time.

He finally made it to Monday, sneaking off to the company early in the morning. This workaholic, almost psychotic, felt relieved and refreshed looking at the various reports piled on his desk, as if a weight had been lifted off his chest.

As Wei Qian headed to the Monday morning meeting, he couldn't shake off his annoyance: What was he afraid of? What did he have to feel guilty about?

Lost in thought, suddenly, a dazed-looking person walked towards him, almost colliding with him.

Wei Qian focused and realized it was Ma Chunming. He couldn't help but snap, "Did you just finish smoking up? What's with this appearance?"

Ma Chunming naturally had a long melon-seed face, with a pointed nose and protruding cheekbones. His large eyes and double eyelids, along with a slight exophthalmos, didn't quite fit the public's aesthetic standards. However, he usually had a smiling face, which at least made him seem like a friendly monkey. But now, with his hair standing on end and a pale complexion, red eyes making the protruding eyes even more pronounced, he looked like a big-headed, slender-necked ET.

Ma Chunming gave him a resentful glance, successfully sending shivers down Wei Qian's spine, already tormented by a weekend of scrutinizing gazes. Then, with the solemnity of a mourner, Ma Doctor said to Wei Qian, "Morning, Director Wei."

"..." Wei Qian replied, "Morning to you too."

Ma Chunming's gaze was vacant as he passed by, lost and desolate.

His risk management advisor and executive vice president, Comrade Ma Chunming, was someone who deeply loved his work. Dr. Ma always remembered how hard it was for him to get this job initially. Making it to his current position felt like winning the lottery unexpectedly, so he cherished it dearly and was always diligent.

However, during this morning's meeting, he remained silent from start to finish, appearing extremely absent-minded. When Wei Qian asked about the risk management arrangements for the week, calling his name twice, Ma Chunming didn't even hear. It wasn't until San Pang, sitting opposite him, threw a paper ball at his forehead, startling Dr. Ma's soul back into his body, that he noticed there were still so many foolish humans around him.

Ma Chunming: "Ah... I... I don't have anything to add."

Wei Qian raised an eyebrow, "Did I ask you to add anything?"