11 | love operator.

"Decisions are the hardest when feelings are in the mix

"Decisions are the hardest when feelings are in the mix ." — Soul Rivers.

SOUL • RIVERS

As I hummed in sync with Xscape's soulful melody "Who Can I Run To," the car became my sanctuary, a place to untangle the mess of emotions swirling within me

As I hummed in sync with Xscape's soulful melody "Who Can I Run To," the car became my sanctuary, a place to untangle the mess of emotions swirling within me. The echoes of the consultation about my abortion lingered, haunting every corner of my mind. The road stretched ahead, a metaphor for the choices I had to navigate, the time ticking away like the fading daylight.

In the midst of this internal tug-of-war, I found myself grappling with conflicting whispers of reason and desire. While one part of me clamored for the clarity of the abortion, another whispered warnings of future regret, a fear of a void that no decision could fill.

Each verse of the song seemed to echo my inner turmoil, begging the question: who can I turn to in this moment of uncertainty, when the weight of the world feels too heavy to bear alone? The emptiness beside me in the passenger seat mirrored the void in my heart, pleading for solace, for guidance, for love.

With the window of opportunity narrowing, I knew I couldn't delay the decision much longer. Yet, as I drove on, the lyrics of the song lingered, a poignant reminder of the search for solace in the midst of life's storms.

"Where are you, Soul?" My mother's exasperation reverberated through the speakers of our home, cutting through the air like a knife.

She reached out to adjust the volume controls in her car, a futile attempt to dial down her frustration. "I'm on my way, just had a check-up," her voice strained with a mixture of annoyance and resignation. Fingers drumming impatiently on the steering wheel, she continued, "You know how Ivan gets when you're late. He thinks it's disrespectful. You can't keep someone like him waiting," a mental eye-roll evident in her tone. "I'll be there soon, Mom. Just tell him I got held up in a meeting or something." With a sigh, she ended the call, letting the music fill the silence as she pondered the events of the day.

The weight of her decision hung heavy in the air. Abortion seemed like the only viable option, a sacrifice demanded by the altar of her career ambitions.