O9 | decision, decision.

"In the brink of success, unwanted decisions align

"In the brink of success, unwanted decisions align." — Mark Star.

[authorsnotes: majority of these chapters are pre-written, I've been editing them all except the beginning chapters. This one specially was only edited in the beginning everything else was prewritten so mistakes may be overlooked.]

SOUL • RIVERS

       "Mom, please, just stop!" I shouted, lifting my hand to signal a pause in the music

       "Mom, please, just stop!" I shouted, lifting my hand to signal a pause in the music. The change in my tone and demeanor signaled to my backup dancers that it was time to leave. A wave of thoughts overwhelmed me, and the last thing I needed was her dictating how I should perform my runs. After all, I was the one who wrote this song; it was my creation.

She folded her arms, observing as everyone exited the room. My head dropped as I fought back tears, feeling the weight of everything on my shoulders. In that moment, I stood there, vulnerable, like some emotional battleground. My mother disapproved; to her, this display was a sign of weakness. According to her, proud women never bowed. Yet, here I was, weak and not proud.

          I  loved a man who couldn't reciprocate that love properly. My career was soaring, but happiness eluded me. I was carrying a child, yearning for it, yet tangled in the mess of having it with an emotionally toxic and abusive man. I felt weak, lost, and utterly down. No comforting words could reach me, especially not her instructions on how to feel and perform a song that I, Soul Reneè Rivers, had spent nine hours writing. It was my creation, and no one else's.

As the room cleared, leaving only the echoes of my inner turmoil, I felt a profound isolation. My mother stood there, arms crossed, a silent observer of my emotional unraveling. The weight of my choices and struggles pressed down, manifesting as a wellspring of tears I couldn't hold back any longer.

 The weight of my choices and struggles pressed down, manifesting as a wellspring of tears I couldn't hold back any longer