36.

||Symere||

"Got him. We fuckin got em." I laughed.

"You got who got sum to do with who jumped Monie?" Jamal asked.

"Huh? No. Well yes, but that's not what I'm talking about right now."

"Who you got?" He asked.

"I found somebody in connection to my parents murder."

"You know frankie told you-." I cut him off.

"I know what he said. That don't make me feel no different. My pops told me the same thing in case it ever happened. But I make my own decisions."

"So what you finna do?" He asked me.

"...As much as I wanna catch a flight to Atlanta right now, Monie is still my first priority. For now, I'll see if I can get people to watch him."

"Good." He said.

"Regarding that bitch that hurt my lil sis, she finally got a new visitor. I might check that out myself."

Nadia walked and dropped the bag of money on my desk.
"20k." She said and walked out.

"What you do to her?" Jamal asked.

"I ain't do shit wrong."

He looked at me like I was full of shit.

"She think I'm one of them hoe ass niggas. I got offended, so I stopped smoking with her. She be playing and Ian got time for allat."

"She prolly want you to chase her." He said.

"Well shit she got the wrong nigga."

"You really gon give up on that?" He asked.

"Fuck am I supposed to do? I can't force the girl."

"Chase her a little. Take her out. Show her who you is. Do some." He said.

"Or maybe she should just go do her homework on me?"

"Yo dumb ass finna die alone." He said shaking his head.

"I got Monie."

"My lil bro gon wife up Monie sooner or later. So you really don't." He said.

"Mttchtt. He aint gon wife up nothin. He still on that lil light skin."

"Ight just watch. They gon get together. I'm already knowing." He said.

"How much you wanna bet?"

"2k." He said.

"Ight nigga. $2000. Let's put it up den."

"Shiddd Okay. Can't wait to get an extra $2000." He said.

"You mean you can't wait to lose it?"

"Nawl nigga I know what I said." He said.

*Flashback*

||Omniscient||

"Monie, you have to get up and go to school." Symere said sitting next to Symone on the bed.

Symone does nothing but look at him.

"You're not sick. We just checked your temperature." Symere told her.

She just looks at him tiredly.

"Mon, you've missed two weeks of school. You need to go." He told her.

She doesn't speak.

Symere sighed.

The doctor believes Monie is suffering from reactive mutism. This started after she got kidnapped. Reactive mutism is withdrawal and depression due to trauma.

Symone hasn't spoken to Symere in 2 months. After putting her in a new school, he hoped that it'd get her active again but she only attended school for 3 weeks before she stopped leaving the bed altogether.

"Symone you need to get out of the house. Hell out of the bed. Into the shower. You stink." He said.

Symone yawned.

"Alright. Come on." Symere lifts Symone out the bed.

Symone frowns.

"You finna take a shower and brush your teeth. You stink." Symere said.

Symere brings her to the bathroom and sits her on toilet. He grabs her toothbrush and toothbrush paste. He puts the toothpaste on the toothbrush, brings it under water and starts brushing Monie's teeth.

After brushing Monie's teeth, he runs a nice warm bath for her.

"Are you really finna make me wash you?" Symere said to Symone.

Symone only sat there.

Symere took a deep breath. He proceeds to undress Monie and get her in the tub. He then cleans her.

After cleaning her, he puts her in a fresh outfit. Then he feeds her. After that, he gets himself ready.

"We're going to school now. Okay?" He says to her.
"I'll just have to go with you until you can do it yourself." He tells her.

This continues on everyday for about 3 months more before she slowly started to do these things herself.

Symere also put her into therapy during this time.
———————————————————

Publish Date:February 11, 2024

Word Count: 714