OS 28 - "7 Minutes to Heaven" Mats Hummels x Mateu Morey

Mateu smelt it the moment Edin sat down next to him on the bench. As he pointed at the players from a distance, talking about quick changes in the attacking versus defending movement, a whiff of scent catched in his nose. Mateu's eyes flicked to the side where Mats was putting on his jersey. He currently wasn't looking back, but there was definetly pride mixed into the happiness and excitement coming off of him. Mateu bit down on his lip hard to restrain himself from smiling. Before he could focus back on task Edin clapped his back and went back to the trainer zone to shout something at Emre on the pitch. Mateu got up to grab the clothes and changed.

As he bent down to the box to search for gloves Mats bumped into his side. "Come on! We need to go!", he said and already continued to walk to where Jadon was waiting for the guy to put in his number on the substitution board.
But Mateu had seen it: Mats had smiled at him.
Leaving the box he ushered behind him to the fourth official - smiling at his teammates on the bench who said their 'good luck's -  to drop their numbers and get their shoes checked. Then Jadon ran, Marco hugged Mateu tightly as he passed, Mats went, Emre gave Mateu a high five, Ian slapped his hands down on Mateu's and just like that he was back on the pitch.

And oh, their smiles had been so wide when looking at him, the fans cheered his name thrice, as loud as possible, but his own smile was the brightest of them all.

The funny thing was that it felt like nothing had ever changed. The grass beneath his shoes, the ball at his feet, a quick pass. Running. Blood pumping through his veins. He could hear his heartbeat with the yelling of players in his ear. The seven minutes felt like an eternity. They blended together, a constant stream. He felt it all, every muscle in his body working, stretching, to get that ball off the feet of a player dressed in red. As the final whistle fell and the whole stadion erupted into roars once again Mateu had to take a moment to sit down and breathe. He had to train more distance running again, definetly.

Two strong arms grabbed him and heaved him back onto his feet. Fülle, today surely man of the match, slung his arms over his shoulders again from behind. Together, they strolled over to the others, exchanging quick words with bitter Freiburg players. Mateu felt greatful for his packmates. It had been a hard time, the past one thousand days. But when they came up to him, one after another, hugging, laughing, clapping, he was reminded once again that this was home. Them laying their arms around each other. The yellow wall jumping and singing until they joined. Pushing each other, giggling and laughing like little children. Thanking the fans for the support. When 25.000 people cheered soley for him as Mateu stood in front of his team, he took it all in. He felt the tears welling up in his eyes when he turned away, quickly catching up with the others for a tour around the pitch to wave to all the fans in different blocks.
He expected everyone to be already gone to shower when he turned around to walk back.

But Mats stood there. Waiting for him.

And he opened his arms as Mateu went up to him and wordlessly buried himself in the broad chest that was also home. Strong arms closed around him, a hand on his head, cradling him like a baby. Mats' head turned slightly to the right to sit comfortably on to his.

Mateu didn't know how long they spent like that, just hugging. But he knew it was time when he heard Donny and Niklas laugh in the near distance about something. And as Mateu opened his eyes again he saw the social media admin filming the boys but already glancing in their direction.

Mats stroked over his back a couple of times.
"I'll see you later, yeah?", he mumbled into his hair. Mateu nodded. After the showers, when they were all clean.
They must reek of each other by now, their scents intermingled over all the sweat, grass and smell of excitement. He knew Mats was possessive but something inside Mateu purred, pleased at the thought of everyone smelling Mats on him, too.