Chapter 41: Peace

Start from the beginning

Walking up to her and putting his bag to the side, he sat beside her

Adkin: Thanks for waiting for me.

Asuna: Of course.

After a second of peace, he smiled. He gently reached over and took her hand in his.

Adkin: How have you been feeling? Getting around okay?

Asuna: I've been doing fine, Ares. My rehab is going smoothly and I finally got the okay to walk around without my crutches. The doctor says I still shouldn't try to run, but I'll be fine.

He smiled, as hearing that she's been doing well lifted a weight from his chest. He normally would remind her to call him by his legal name, especially at school, but hearing her voice say his avatar's name makes his heart swell up.

Adkin: That's good to hear.

She looks at his smile. She engraves every detail of his face into her memory because this moment is hers and only hers. She looks at the scar on his left eye, a result of Sugou's madness.

The night at the parking lot, Sugou had been arrested. During interrogation, he denied everything and tried to pin it on Akihiko Kayaba. But after questioning one of his employees, Sugou confessed to everything. The three hundred SAO players returned safely to the real world, not suffering from any neurological or psychiatric after-effects. Sugou was later imprisoned.

Thankfully, the cut didn't hit his eye but did leave him a cool battle scar. She doesn't mind it though, it was a sign of his affection for her. She scoots over and rests her head on his shoulder. And while he rests his head on hers, she snuggles into the moment, hoping this moment never ends.

Adkin: ...Are you still having nightmares?

She never told him but at this point, he knew her so well she sometimes couldn't tell if he could actually read her mind. Or if she was that obvious.

Asuna: Here and there...

Adkin: ...We'll get through this, together. Are you still up for the plan today?