Chapter 31: Another Lifetime

(A/N): Disclaimer. This is a alternative universe where Ares and Asuna survived, for those who want this story to continue. Like always, enjoy.

3rd Person POV

口ㄗモれ工れム

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The moon hid within the clouds, and the sound of the forest was loud and lively. A figure dashed swiftly through the green woodland. His heart beats fast, his vision erratic, but his legs don't stop moving. Looking through the holes in his helmet, every shadow comes to life. Ugly and misshapen creatures emerged, their leathery skin was mottled with sickly greens and browns, and their hunched bodies moved with unsettling agility. Not stopping for a second, he continues to evade the trees and horrors of the night.

Ares: ASUNA! WHERE ARE YOU!?

He cried, listening for any resemblance of the voice of his wife. But the laughter of the demonic creatures grew louder and louder. They were catching up, he could almost feel their footsteps matching his in speed. He didn't have time to deal with them now, he needs to find-

Asuna: ARES!

Finally hearing her voice, he sprints full speed in the direction her voice came from. He kept running and running, no matter how tired his legs felt, he couldn't stop. Eventually, he enters a clearing where the trees stopped growing and a large patch of grass grew. Coming to a stop, that's when he sees her. Dressed in her Knights of the Blood Oath uniform, her blade was embedded in the ground but broken into two pieces. But what made his stomach turn inside out was what was holding onto her in its massive hand.

His skin, a sickly shade of olive green, was mottled and pockmarked, bearing the marks of countless battles and perhaps even darker rituals. Veins of inky black snaked just beneath the surface, hinting at the corrupted nature of his very being. His eyes, like twin orbs of molten gold, burned with an otherworldly fire, radiating a malevolent intelligence.

His hulking frame loomed, a fearsome blend of cruel elegance and twisted malevolence. Cloaked in tattered robes that seemed to have been stitched together from the skins of unfortunate victims. Sitting on top of his head, a crown formed from an amalgamation of bones, thorns, and darkened metal. A Goblin King.

Reaching for his blade, he turned in confusion. All of his armor and weaponry he wore seconds ago were all gone, vanished into thin air. Before he could mutter a breath, he was tackled to the ground, landing on his stomach. Malevolent laughter filled his ears as the goblins held him down.

Asuna: ARES, HELP ME!

Ares: ASUNA!

He watched helplessly as the Goblin King started to turn and walk into the darkness of the forest, a look of horror painted on Asuna's face. He forcefully ripped his arm from the clutches of the goblins and reached out.

Ares: ASUNA!

~~~

- January 19th, 2025 - Shinagawa City -