Chapter 12

And all along I believed I would find you
Time has brought your heart to me
I have loved you for a thousand years
I'll love you for a thousand more 🥀
~A thousand years, Christina Perri

And all along I believed I would find youTime has brought your heart to meI have loved you for a thousand years I'll love you for a thousand more 🥀~A thousand years, Christina Perri

"𝑾𝒊𝒕𝒉 𝒆𝒂𝒄𝒉 𝒎𝒐𝒎𝒆𝒏𝒕 𝒔𝒑𝒆𝒏𝒕 𝒕𝒐𝒈𝒆𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓, 𝑰 𝒇𝒊𝒏𝒅 𝒎𝒚𝒔𝒆𝒍𝒇 𝒇𝒂𝒍𝒍𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒅𝒆𝒆𝒑𝒆𝒓 𝒊𝒏𝒕𝒐 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒂𝒃𝒚𝒔𝒔 𝒐𝒇 𝒚𝒐𝒖𝒓 𝒍𝒐𝒗𝒆."

We took our seats at the elegantly set dinner table, and I found myself seated directly across from Lia. She kept her head down, her demeanor suggesting a mix of curiosity and perhaps a touch of apprehension. Meanwhile, Vincent, Lia's older brother, maintained a vigilant gaze, his furrowed eyebrows seemingly forming a protective barrier between Lia and me, as though deeming me a significant threat to his sister.

The first course was a delicate Prosciutto-Wrapped Asparagus, made its entrance, each bite a perfect blend of savory prosciutto and tender asparagus—a prelude to the culinary journey ahead.

The main course, a masterpiece in its own right, featured Veal Marsala—a symphony of tender veal bathed in a Marsala wine reduction, accompanied by mushrooms that danced on the palate.

A Grilled Eggplant Parmesan side dish followed, presenting a lighter rendition of the classic. The marriage of grilled eggplant, marinara sauce, and melted mozzarella.

The Arugula and Pear Salad brought a refreshing interlude—a composition of peppery arugula, succulent pear slices, Gorgonzola cheese, and candied walnuts. The light vinaigrette provided the perfect balance, leaving a palate cleansed and ready for the next indulgence.

The grand finale, Panna Cotta with Berry Compote, graced the table. Silky vanilla-infused panna cotta, adorned with a vibrant berry compote, served as a sweet conclusion to our culinary odyssey—a simple yet sophisticated finale that lingered in the air.

A soft sigh escaped me as the feast unfolded before my eyes. Cooking has never been my forte, and my attempts in the kitchen are often met with skepticism from Mom and Rose, who claim I'm a less-than-impressive cook. Yet, here I sat, appreciating Lia's mom orchestrating a culinary symphony as if it were a grand occasion. Well, in a way, it was an occasion—an evening where flavors mingled, conversations flowed, and I have a privilege of being by Lia's side.

Rachel, Lia's mom, initiated a conversation with a warm smile.

"So, Alessio, I'm curious about what you do. I've heard you're quite successful," Rachel remarked, her eyes reflecting genuine interest.

"Thank you, Rachel. I'm involved in the legal arms trade business. I specialize in selling weapons to governments, security firms, and private clients. It encompasses firearms, military equipment, and various defense-related products." I told her.