Zayn almost took his hand from the handle, but something made him pause. Instead of walking away he entered her room with a stern frown.

"What are-" he saw her shoving clothes into a rucksack. "What the fuck are you doing?"

"I'm going to see Thea, you know, our other family members who you refuse to acknowledge"

Solana said, stopping when Zayn's frown turned into a disapproving one.

"What? I'm not being held a prisoner in this Packhouse any longer. I need time away from the memories Zayn."

"Were you just gonna sneak off?" he asked as Liam stood awkwardly by the doorway.

"Yes I was. I knew you'd react this way."

"Are you planning on walking? Rogues are out there and they're probably waiting for-"

"Stop this paranoia, Zayn. I ordered a government car to take me there." Solana quickly shoved the rest of her things into the bag and zipped it up.

"How long are you going?" Zayn asked, eyeing her small bag.

"Just a few nights. Maybe a week. It depends."

"Depends on what?"

"Whether I enjoy being away from your father's ghost." Solana stepped closer to her son and squeezed his shoulder.

"Everything reminds me of him. This room, the smells, you." She smiled softly. "I just need to go."

Liam hid Roden's journal behind his back. Now was not the time.

"Are you going to the northern Shadow Packhouse?" Zayn mumbled. He wanted to keep his mother where he could see her, but she was so miserable. He would be cruel to keep her where she didn't want to be. Even he couldn't deny that a change of scenery would be good for her. Zayn only worried about the journey in between. Solana nodded, so he asked, "Do they know you're coming?"

"Yes."

"Good."

"So, you'll let me go?"

"You'd go anyway."

"I would." Solana hugged him, and Zayn stood stiffly for a moment before hugging her back.

She felt much thinner than the last time they hugged.

"I love you" Solana said into his shoulder.

"What're you being all soppy for?" Liam chuckled from the doorway, and Solana
pulled away, rolling her eyes."Just say it back for once in your life."

Zayn eyed Liam who only grinned wider.

"Love you," he grumbled. He had been serious about changing.

Opening up was the first of many things he had to work on.

"Come on, walk me to the car, both of you." Solana ruffled Liam's hair on the way past.

Both Liam and Zayn exchanged odd glances before following her to the ground floor. As Solana greeted the driver by the front door, Liam whispered, "therapy must have really helped her find what she was looking for."

"She had one taster session."

"Yeah but I guess she needed to listen to someone who knew how to help. Maybe they discussed her visiting Thea for a few days to clear her head!"

"Maybe," Zayn said, putting his arm around Liam's shoulders.

As the boys glanced lovingly at each other, Solana looked to her son, cherishing his face, and the way he held Liam, and the way his lips hinted towards a smile. In that moment, she knew that as long as he had his mate, Zayn would always be okay. She had felt that way once.