Pocket of Time | Raye Penber

"Where do you think you're going?" A voice called out from behind you, a foot tapping against the marble floor like an accusation.

The cool feel of the doorknob against your calloused palm sunk in for a moment before you answered, your head arching back to look into your fiance eyes.

As E/C met blue, the man shivers as sparks seemed to spark. No matter how long he had known you for, he always got a shock whenever he looked into your gorgeous eyes, his heart skipping a beat. He couldn't believe you were his sometimes. And it was the best reminder he gets every moment he gets.

As you twist your wrist to open the door, you say, "I'm going out to investigate Kira."

"Without me?" The man almost sounded offended. His tone changed to be more gentle and persuasive. "Baby, you know it's dangerous."

He took a few steps towards you, giving him a chance to reach his hand out towards yours. 

You scoff, but the sound wasn't of contempt. More like you were tired of explaining the same thing over and over. "Raye, c'mon. Anything you do, I do too. We're a team. Remember?"

A small smile graced your lips. It wasn't like this was something new. You and him used to solve cases together despite you not having official status like he did. Yet, that didn't persuade the FBI agent in any way; in fact, it only served to further remind him the stakes that were stacked so highly against the two of you.

Raye sighed, grabbing your hand as if you were a precious gem. "Y/N, please. I know I always let you help me out back home, but this is different." 

"How so?"

"We're in Japan." He says, a hint of frustration entering his tone. "And this suspect isn't an elusive con man or thief; Kira is a murderer. A ruthless one. We still don't understand how he kills. I just don't want you to be a statistic."

You let yourself be pulled towards him, your hand leaving the door to wrap around his shoulders. His thumb runs circles comfortingly around your knuckles, but despite the warm, fuzzy feeling it gave you, a frown replaced your smile, painting over your lips.

"But you're fine with being one yourself?" You say quietly, your eyebrows furrow together.

The utter look of concern in your eyes sent a jolt down Raye's spine, his breath going heavy. She's worried about me? 

"It's different." He quickly follows up with.

You quirk an eyebrow, as if to call him a hypocrite. Words spill out of your mouth. "How is it different?"

There was a pause as Raye bit his lip. "It just is." 

"If you can't explain to me why my life is somehow more important than yours, than I see no reason to stay on the sidelines--" 

God, you were so reckless, ready to put yourself in the line of danger just to help your fiance out. Raye couldn't understand it. He was supposed to protect you, not the other way around. Why couldn't you understand that? But Raye wasn't mad. Or upset. No, no, he found himself endeared by your behaviour, but in the end, he couldn't control his tongue, and ended up blurting the real reason behind his increased cautiousness.

"Because you have another life to care for!" He accidentally spewed, his eyes wide as the words enveloped in the quiet hotel room.

The secret was out. He knew. And now you knew that he knew.

He was almost afraid the silence would continue on forever until you finally broke it, swallowing thickly as you mull over your thoughts.

"... how'd you know?" You had only found out about this a few days ago, and you weren't planning on telling anyone until you were further along.