Necessary | L

"This is necessary."

Was it, L? Was it really?

Your eye twitched as he held up a pair of metal handcuffs, one loop already connected around his wrist as he held up the other, the long silver chair dangling to the pristine floor of the Kira Task Force Headquarters. The look on the detectives face was as if he already expected you to agree to this condition.

Half a part of you wanted to protest, give him your mind for even suggesting this idea you were so abhorrently against, but you shut your mouth. Chances are, even if you didn't like this idea - like was an understatement -, L  had done far worse, putting cameras in Lights house, and with Chief Yagami even endorsing that. Their choice trumps majority, so you simply sighed, just giving in. 

There was no point arguing with the incessant detective. 

Twirling around in your chair slowly, your head hung back as your E/C eyes stared lasers into the ceiling, L spoke up.

"If you keep doing that, we are both going to fall." He remarked, his head tilting.

You grumble in response, mocking his words childishly. "Don't care." 

As soon as the chain was pulled taught, you lazily spun the other way. Your legs swung like you were on a set of swings, before you pulled them up to sit in a criss-crossed pattern.

Almost expecting L to step in to scold you, you were mildly surprised he wasn't. Usually, he berated Matsuda like tomorrow would never arrive, but you seemed to be an exception. Of course, the raven haired man didn't have any complains about the sight he was secretly spying on. He found it cute, but distracting.

He should really be working.

But did he want to? 

Not at all.

As if noticing the mans lack of attention to the computer in front of him, you tap the arm of your chair with your nail a few times absentmindedly.

"So..." You awkwardly start by saying, your arms crossed over your stomach. "Any leads?"

"Not at the moment." His monotone voice responded in, reminding you of those old-fashioned computers. He even dressed like one too, in drab clothes with pale skin and raven hair. But the difference was that computers didn't inhale sugar like they were addicted to it. 

You make a face; bored, tired, and most importantly, done with L's antics. 

He crouched on his chair, his feet shoeless, and his spine completely rounded like the Hunchback of Notre Dame. Still, despite all these little quirks that were usually out of the societal norm, there was a certain way those features all pulled together like a puzzle; weird by itself, but strangely eye-catching when it is all put together. You didn't even realize you were admiring him until your gaze made its way back up to his face, where his eyes, complete with dark eyebags, stared almost soullessly back into yours.

Your face felt warm. L just caught you checking him out.

The worst part of it was the small curve of his lip, almost a smirk, but not quite there.

Please don't say anything-

And of course he did.

"You know, this investigation would go a lot smoother if you help." You could barely catch the hint of self-satisfaction entwined in his voice like vines around jungle trees. With the monotone voice, it was hardly detectable.

That smug bastard-

You cock your head, ready with a snip reply of your own. "I thought the world's greatest detective didn't need help?"