DECISION| 43

"This is my life. I choose, and will not be forced to decide between the two," I answer Maddox.

'I will not share. Do you intend for me to drop you off every 6th day of the week so you can fuck him?' Zain links me angrily.

I give him a death stare. 'Give me a solution where I do not leave my friends trapped.'

Zain gets up from the table angrily. He directs his attention to Emmett, "You said that we would be able to get up from this table without any harm, not that I relied on your word."

Emmett responds, "Our terms have been laid out. However, you recall my words, Helena."

I ponder. His words were either I accept or I will never see Marisa again. He said it would be her choice.

I glimpse at her and then at our connected hands. She wouldn't part from me. He is bluffing.

But how can I see her and know that I condemn her to a marriage that will give no children? She does not want any now. That can change later and I will be the cause of her pain.

Not only will I cause her pain but I am partially responsible for my mother's actions. Children are the ones that pay for the sins of their parents.

Arthur announces, "Please reveal what the next steps will be."

"May I think about a solution," I ask.

He raises an unimpressed eyebrow, "Do you frankly think we have not researched in debt as soon as we had the facts? There is no other solution. But amuse us."

"Give me a week. If I cannot undo the hex by other means, then I will agree," I avoid eye contact with Zain.

I can feel his eyes boring a hole in the side of my head. He does not argue because I will go home with him. He thinks he will convince me not to.

Wrong.

I intend to break this curse. I will free the vamps and, in turn, free my friends. If not, then I will pay the price.

There are worse fates than laying with Maddox. I simply hope I do not lose myself.

"We will allow it as an act of good faith," Arthur agrees but you can tell his impatience.

I add, "Then we will leave. ALL of us."

I eye the table looking at the very members of our group that I have been apart from, my brother and Maddox.

"Yes, you may. Nonetheless, remember Miss Thorn of the consequences of trying to deceive us. Do not take our kindness as weakness. I don't have to remind you of what we are capable," Arthur threatens.

No. He does not. He stole my brother under our noses. Infiltrated Zain's pack. Killed my witches. In a way, killed our vamps. Took Maddox and attacked Marisa.

He is an enemy I will not underestimate. I get up from the table and resume standing by Zain's side. Jason and Maddie follow.

Jason grabs her hand and leads them around the table to stand behind us. Marisa remains sitting our hands connected. I pull on her hand and she does not get up.

I look at her confused.

"I will stay," she declares but does not look at me. Then, I feel my hand released.

Her touch is cold yet my hand feels colder without her grasp.

"Marisa," I question her.

She does not look at me. Her eyes are on the table directly across to Maddox. I eye him next. I see them silently communicating.