LINES| 10

I don't remember reading anything about him having a sister on the report. I was under the impression that he was the only child of the past alpha and Luna, who died tragically under the hands of vampire extremists. It's one of the reasons why Maddox chose to reach out to Zain out of all the alphas.

His pack is the biggest which is a great advantage. But without common ground, there would be nothing to build on. Zain was the perfect candidate.

I have no idea how we missed her.

I look at them both, and they look nothing alike. She has tan skin, dirty blond hair, and brown eyes. Nothing compared to Zain's black hair and blue eyes. Well, they do have the same arrogance.

"Come here," Zain orders me.

"No," I snap back.

I hate how he thinks he has the authority to command me in front of my people and his. He has learned nothing.

"You are injured too. I will take you to get healed."

"I can handle it."

"You're a stubborn person. Then, come heal my sister," he looks at her neck.

I cross my arms, "the burn is not severe. She will heal in an hour with her capabilities. No extra mending is necessary."

Jason chimes in, "But I can do it if you like Zain."

I snap my head at him.

What a traitor.

Jason pays me no attention. He keeps his eyes on her and she on him. I bite my lip, thinking.

Many people have seen my exchange with his sister. They won't trust us now. I have to find a way to salvage the situation.

I look at Marisa and Maddox, "Take the group back to the cabin. Update them on the situation. Marisa, make sure you feed again. It will make you better."

Marisa replies, "I am fine. Can't feel it."

Wish I can say the same thing. My back hurts like hell.

"Do it anyway. The group goes where you two go. If something happens, let it be known. I'll come to find you when I am done with the issue here," I instruct.

"Come with us now. They can handle it on their own," she argues.

"I can't let Jason wonder by himself, especially when he seems a little distracted."

We eye my brother, and he pays us no attention.

Maddox chimes in, "Take long and I'll come looking for you."

I nod and make my way toward Zain. Marisa and Maddox walk in the opposite direction. Zain eyes us as we approach. His sister studies us too.

When we get close enough, Zain reaches for my arm. I step back but he grabs a hold of me and turns me. My back faces his front. He runs his hand up my arm until I can feel it floating in midair.

He is not touching the claw marks. Yet, I feel his invisible gesture all around the wound. I keep myself calm. Then, the gesture stops, and he turns me over.

He looks at his sister, "Never again, Maddie."

His sister, Maddie, narrows her eyes, "I told you not to pick her. She was all over that bloodsucker where everyone could see her."

She makes an obnoxious-smelling notion, "It's clear she is yours, somewhat. She should know her place."

There is a crowd listening. I come up with a diplomatic answer.