Family dinner

That day, after school, Todoroki and his family were gathered to have another one of their terribly awkward dinners. Assembled around the small dinner table were: Todoroki, Fuyumi, Natsu, Endeavour, Rei, Jouno and Bakugo. Ever since Bakugo and Todoroki had started dating, Bakugo had been invited over to family dinners. More at Rei's request, though. Todoroki wasn't sure if Endeavour didn't like the fact that he had a boyfriend, or if he didn't like the fact that his son's boyfriend was Bakugo. This was the first time Todoroki had ever had a family dinner with his twin brother, though. At least there was something to look forward to.

"So. How was your first day?" Endeavour asked, his tone unreadable. Todoroki wasn't sure how Endeavour felt about having his other son home. Jouno was blind, a year behind everyone else in terms of schooling, and had an ability, not a quirk. So far, Emdeavour had barely adknowledged his presence, despite the confrontation in the waiting room.

"Good. There were less people trying to kill me than at my previous job." Rei's eyes widened at that particular comment, but she said nothing. "I'm not that behind everyone else." Jouno said. "I mean, there are some specific heroing courses and things that I'm not up on, but I can catch up pretty quickly. I'm a bit ahead in some other areas, though." There was an awkward pause. "Math, science, calculations: that kind of thing." Jouno said. Todoroki had slept through most of math class that day, but from what he remembered, Jouno was smart when it came to numbers.

"How do you rank against your classmates?" Endeavour asked. "In terms of your power, I mean?" Jouno tugged at a strand of his hair nervously. "I'm not sure." He said. "My ability allows me to dematerialize, and reform wherever I please. It's probably not the strongest fighting ability ever, but I make up for that with my skill with a sword." Everyone at the table turned to stare at Jouno. "A sword?" Endeavour asked. "Fukuchi let you use a sword?"

Jouno nodded. "Is that a bad thing?" He asked. "Well, how the heck are you supposed to see where you're swinging it?" Bakugo asked. Todoroki kicked him under the table, but Jouno laughed softly at the comment, clearly unbothered. "I don't see. I hear." Jouno said. "I can determine my enemies from my allies by their voices and heartbeats. That, and some of the people on my team have very distinctive sounding powers. I could hear Tetchou's extendable swords in the middle of a rock concert."

This seemed reasonable to Todoroki, but clearly not to Endeavour. "You should start training with your ability alone, not relying on weaponry." Endeavour said sternly. "I don't know how they do things in Yokohama, but here, your powers are your greatest asset. You and Todoroki have one of your training classes tomorrow, right?" Todoroki noticed how Endeavour deliberately didn't mention Bakugo, or even acknowledge his presence. "Yes." Jouno said politely. "Try just using your powers then." Todoroki was very tempted to point out that it wasn't like Jouno was allowed to bring a sword onto campus.

"I'll give it a shot." Jouno said. Todoroki wasn't entirely sure how to interpret that. Jouno was a good person, but in his opinion, a bit of a loose canon. He'd been raised by a military squad that did things way differently than the average quirk user, and Jouno was no stranger to violence. Todoroki wasn't sure how he'd do at peacefully disarming an opponent, or fighting one of his classmates. Then again, Bakugo fought his classmates all the time, and there hadn't been any casualties yet.

"Did you make any friends?" Rei asked. "Yeah, the whole class, practically." Bakugo said, and Todoroki detected a note of grumpiness in his voice. Todoroki frowned. He was happy Jouno got along so well with everyone. He didn't want any animosity between his boyfriend and his twin brother. Todoroki hadn't predicted Bakugo getting jealous that everybody liked Jouno. Jouno was a likeable guy. Todoroki was really just been hoping they'd get along.

"Please excuse us for a minute." Todoroki said, and grabbed Bakugo. "We'll be right back." Todoroki could hear Jouno politely talking about his day, while their parents kept asking him questions. "What was that all about?" Todoroki asked once he and Bakugo were out of earshot. Bakugo, as surly as ever, crossed his arms and didn't make eye contact with Todoroki. "Bakugo. I asked what that was about. Jouno is my brother. Why don't you like him?"

Bakugo frowned. "It's not that I don't like him. I'm just suspicious of him. He seems like a good guy. Too good, if you ask me." Now it was Todroki's turn to frown. "What do you mean?" He asked. "Come on, half and half." Bakugo said, sounding exasperated. "Look. I want to think the best of your brother, but something just doesn't sit right about it. He was raised by the hunting dogs, and he's this normal? You know that ability users don't usually like us, and there's been some talk of a coming conflict."

Todoroki was at a loss for words, and Bakugo just kept on talking. "Also, did you notice that he had some kind of gimmick that connected with everyone in the class? Like, literally everyone. You can't tell me that someone is just naturally that good at conversations." Todoroki couldn't help himself. He threw back his head and started laughing. Bakugo only got more angry. "Is something funny to you?" He asked. Todoroki nodded. "Yes. You're all suspicious of my brother, but it's literally just because he connected with everyone on the first try. I get they you have trouble making connections with people. I'm sorry that's something you still deal with, and I don't want to undervalue your feelings. But Jouno succeeding at an area you're bad at doesn't mean you get to dislike him."

Bakugo ran a hand through his hair. "Maybe you're right." He said. "But I can't shake the feeling there's something off about this guy." Bakugo sighed. "I guess I just don't want you to get hurt, half and half." Bakugo said. "You're going to be said if he's not who you think he is." Todoroki nodded. "I get it. You're just looking out for me, and I love that about you. You've got a heart in there somewhere, and it's nice when you bring it out from time to time. But please don't take whatever this is out on Jouno."

Todoroki gave Bakugo the look. "Please." He said. "Because I really can't take it if my boyfriend and my brother don't get along. And if I'm being honest, it's not a problem with Jouno right now." Todoroki watched Bakugo's shoulders slump. "I'm sorry." He said. "I don't want to cause trouble for you." Todoroki nodded. "Then don't. Go back down there and act nice, and continue being the version of yourself that's not like the usual version of yourself." Bakugo rolled his eyes, but he was smiling. "Gee, thanks." He said. Todoroki shrugged. "What can I say?"

Bakugo followed Todoroki back downstairs. "Sorry about that." Todoroki said. Natsu smirked. "What, you needed an emergency make out session?" He asked sarcastically. "Natsu!" Todoroki exclaimed. "Obviously not." Todoroki sat back down. Bakugo tried to, but Endeavour put a hand on his chair. "It's alright, kid." He said. "Why don't you head on home. I think we can have a family dinner where it's just family." Todoroki started to protest, but Bakugo shook his head. "It's okay. I'll go. See you tomorrow."

Todoroki watched Bakugo leave, more annoyed than anything else. "Why did you kick him out?" He asked. "Because my wife asked me to." Endeavour said. Jouno frowned. "You don't have to. It doesn't bother me that Todoroki has his boyfriend here." Rei frowned. "He doesn't like you." Jouno shrugged. "That's okay. He doesn't have to. As long as we get along alright, I'm sure it'll be fine. I don't want to cause more trouble for Todoroki."

That was when Todoroki remembered something very important about Jouno. His sense of hearing was much stronger than the average person's. "You heard the whole argument, didn't you?" He asked. Jouno nodded awkwardly. "Enough of it." He finally said. Todoroki frowned. It wasn't like he was choosing his words carefully, but there was still something measured in the way Jouno said it. But that wasn't right. That was just Bakugo's voice in his head, making him paranoid. Jouno was Todoroki's brother, not the enemy.

"It's okay." Jouno said quickly. "I'm a cautious person. I'm not sure I'd trust me either if I were in Bakugo's position. He's just looking out for you, and I respect that. It's nice that you have someone who cares about you so much." Todoroki smiled. Jouno really was a nice person. Someone who could agree to put up with Bakugo's complaining was a strong individual indeed. "Thanks." Todoroki said, unsure of what else to say. "I really like having you as a brother." Jouno smiled kindly, his usually serpentine grin looking warm and friendly. "Likewise."