"Well lets just say it might benefit Cole to have some guidance from students like you guys and your work ethic." He smiles kindly, finally handing me the yellow packet. "Don't you both have interviews with schools. Jackie for college and Elle for dance right?" He asks, pointing between us.

I nod proudly, at the same time as my sister. "It's a summer intensive we are hosting here in Silver Falls, they change studios throughout Colorado every year which is how I heard about it. It is a program all the way through Paris and New York though, so I will be super lucky if I'm invited." I ramble on nervously. Even the thought of being invited makes my stomach turn.

"That sounds like it would be amazing." I nod.

"But anyways, we will absolutely get that to him." I nod to our teacher as he turns away.

The second Mr. Chowdry goes back into his classroom, Alex is walking in the doors and smiling and Jackie and I. "Hey guys!" His eyes move down to my hand, curiously. "Whats that?"

"An extra credit assignment." I say without explaining too far.

"I wanted one too, but he wouldnt give me one." Jackie jokes, pulling the attention off of me with the blink of an eye.

•••

The next day is Katherine Veteran of the Year ceremony. I never realized they did something like this, especially in Silver Falls. It is such an honor to be in a family where someone accomplishes something like this. An event like this kind of reminds me of ones my sister and I used to attend, and even plan, back in New York.

Dressing up, getting ready to eat expensive meals, live music, and speeches brings me back to my old life. I loved living in glam and glitz. I didnt plan on doing it for the rest of my life, but having this now, is fun to be able to look back on.

Jackie picked out this cute flowy, calve length, pink dress with flattering lines along her body.
Her dark, straight hair falls down onto her shoulders, with a silver bedazzled hairclip at the top.
She looks stunning.

But as always, we are the exactly opposite. I am wearing a long navy blue slip dress with a slit in the leg. Black heels are paired with my outfit, and my curly hair is tied up. Parts of the messy hair are dangling down, creating a formal addition to it.

She looks very sweet, and like she is going to go gallavanting through a field, but I look like Im about to go undercover on a mafia mission or something. At least we both are confident and feel sexy.

Before going downstairs, I set the yellow packet Cole and I's English teacher gave me yesterday on his bed, hoping he finds it and takes it seriously. If he doesnt graduate, I know he will regret it someday. He will be happy about it leaving high school now, but happiness is temporary. We both know something about temporary happiness.

Alex confirms my feeling about myself when my sister and I descend down the stairs, arm in arm. His mouth parts slightly as his eyes fall up and down my body. He gives us a big smile, looking over at Jackie as he says, "Lets go." Squeezing her arm, I giggle at him.

The minute we get to the event, there is a huge empty space where Cole is supposed to be.

The whole family tries pretending everything is fine, breaking the awkward silence with a joke or random update on life, even though we all live together. But we cant help having quiet and awkward parts of the meal due to the lack of presence from one of the oldest sons.
Danny and Will type away at their phones, no doubt trying to get Cole to get here. I would be doing the same if I wasnt trying to distant myself from him. It isnt fair to his mom to miss something like this, especially when she is already nervous. My heart breaks for the anxiety she has to be feeling right now.