Twenty Five

•••baggage•••

"Okay so this whole bonfire thing has beer pong?" I ask Alex on our way to class. We are both going to separate classes, but we walk together because they are so close.

"Mhm." He smiles, holding onto his backpack straps. "I still cant believe youve never been to a bonfire."

I shrug, pursing my lips as we enter the building from the cold weather. "I mean, having a fire in the middle of New York city probably wouldnt be the best decision." We both laugh.

"Ive literally never been anywhere like New York."

"Would you ever want to leave?" I ask, looking up at him with excitement. Leaving and travelling is one of my favorite topics to talk about. I cant wait to just go. "Colorado I mean."

He shrugs, his smile fading a little bit. "I dont know. I love it here. I love the farms, and the mountain, and the idea of raising a family here."

"Oh," I say, kind of feeling let down a little. I feel like everyone should leave at one point. But I also wish I could be content with one simple place that genuinely makes me happy. "That's okay."

"Anyways, I can't wait for the bonfire. There's this rock formation thing I wanna take you too. Something about the acoustics makes it seem like you're miles away from the bonfire or anyone really. And it's super dark, so the stars are all you can see. It's just us and them." I swallow  deeply, looking up at him once we stop in the lunchroom to finish our conversation.

"Isn't that cute." I say in a sarcastic southern accent with a smile.

"How fun for you two, planning your spontaneous date night. What are you, fourty?" Cole comes up beside us, glancing at each of us back and forth.

"We aren't together-"

"Shut up, Cole-" Alex and I both say at the same time. His eyes go wide as I stare up at Cole with a sour face. So now he thinks we are dating?

Since my birthday, neither of us have spoken. It's been months. I've actually held my ground this time. I know I hurt him on my birthday. And that whole experience hurt me, but it has definitely helped me get back on track with a couple things.

"And I like plans." I add, crossing my arms over my chest with attitude.

Cole's face contorts together with a confused expression as he does the same with his arms. "Since when New York?"

"Cole, what do you even know about Elle?" Alex asks, standing up straighter as he watches the tension grow between us.

Cole looks over at his brother completely taken aback from the question. "More than you would think little bro," He looks back over at me, his eyes almost hurt from the side I am sort of taking right now.

"So that's why you haven't spoke since her birthday?" Alex asks. I look over my face turning hot as I grab his arm. He was not supposed to mention that.

"Hey that-" I cut off Cole immediately.

"Ive just been trying to be a better, organized person." I finally answer Cole, taking a deep breath. Alex nods as Cole rolls his eyes and walks away.

"What the hell is his problem?" He laughs with jealousy.

___

Once I get to the library for my study period, I meet Skylar, Grace, and my sister which I am so excited about. This period is meant for students to get their work done and go talk to teachers if needed, but we pretty much use it as a debrief time.