Twenty Nine

•••Small Town Rumors•••

Jackie and I walk into the Lark before school the next day, and the first thing we hear are whisperings all around the cozy cafe. Eyes fall on us like we just shaved our heads. Ive been used to the stares in the last couple months, but I havent experienced anything like this in a while.

Grace, Skylar, and Kylie all stand around the counter, clearly gossiping about what happened the other night at the bonfire. I walk up to them, my eyes drag with disappointment, showing them how I feel before even getting there.

"Seriously guys?" Jackie asks before I can even scold them about talking about me.

"What?" Grace asks, immediately playing the victim move. "You cant blame us, thats like, the most interesting thing to happen in Silver Falls. Like ever." She exaggerates as we move to sit down at a large table.

"I can definitely blame you guys. I dont know if yall know this or not, but we are supposed to be friends." I say sarcastically, sitting down next to Skylar.

"You shouldnt worry, soon this will all be over, and everyone will move on." Skylar comforts. "Just like Ill be over the whole Nathan thing."

I smile as the three of them break out in even more drama about Nathan. Personally, I am on Nathans side. He deserves all of the joy in the world, and being open about his feelings was brave.

Shortly after, Kylie talks about how bad she feels about Alex having to go through this again, with the whole Paige thing last summer. My eyes fly down to my lap, instantly uncomfortable by the messed up story.

"I still dont get it. How could Cole have stole Paige from Alex?" Jackie asks. My eyes fly up to hers remembering that she doesnt even know that much about it.

"So we werent going to say this, but Cole was away for the summer at rehab for his leg in Colorado Springs. And while he was away, Paige had this massive glow up. Overnight. And they were at the end of summer party, the whole school was there. Cole was too, he was like on one or something. But anyways, Paige and Alex were attached at the hip. Until Alex went to go play pool, and when he got back-" I watch Grace intently now, fixed on this story that I havent got the whole idea of yet. She is more than happy to spill any kind of drama going on. "Paige was totally all over Cole, they were really making out, it was like a huge thing." She finishes, taking a deep breath, and leaving Jackie and I both stunned.

"In front of everyone?" I ask, confused as all hell now. I knew Cole was an ass, but I never expected that from him. I thought I knew him. The Cole I have got to know in our stolen moments would never do something like that. The two of them both nod dramatically.

I look back down, my eyes meeting Jackies. She knows Im clearly upset, but no one else seems to notice.

•••

Later at school, I feel a tap, and my eyes meet Alex's. Rolling my eyes, I trying turning away, but he talks and follows before I can get too far. "So this is all crazy." He laughs, trying to lighten the mood as if nothing happened the other night. There are rumors going all around the school about all of the drama surrounding our family.

"So crazy." I agree, less than enlightened by him. "Like you punching Cole." I throw at him.

"Look he deserved to-" He watches as my face falls from his previous statement and instantly changes his words. "Youre right, Im sorry."

"Well Im sorry about what happened between Paige and Cole. I got the full story. And I guess I kind of understand." I admit skeptically.

"See! I knew youd get it! You dont act like I should just get over my brother making out with the girl I was in love with." Alex exclaims with a laugh.

My eyebrows raise, going shocked, as my stomach drops for some reason. "You loved her?" I ask curiously. I never expected Alex to be in love.

Alex goes silent, and awkward, shaking his head. "No, no. I mean at the time I thought I was, but it was months ago. And I never told her. Im definitely over Paige." He over explains. There is something weird going on. I nod slowly, and begin to walk through the busy halls again. This passing period has got to be close to ending. Alex doesnt follow me this time I escape, and I am beyond grateful I dont have to talk to the pitiful guy again.

The entire Chemistry period, I ignore both Cole and Danny, keeping my eyes straight forward. I do not need this negativity. I know that if I even look at Cole, my face will be steaming for the anger I have at him.

Against the side of his face, I can feel his sharp gaze, watching me closely. Why is he watching me so much? The whole class, his eyes are fixed on me, not even taking the notes to this required class. If he wants me to look, I dont budge at all. If he is picturing me, wishing we could talk again, or have it be like the other night in the bathroom, I hope he realizes that that wont be happening soon. I cant believe he did that to his brother.

The minute I get to lunch, I find Jackie and sit down with her. Taking a deep breath, I prepare myself for the conversation Ive planned out in my mind. "So Alex told me he loved Paige."

Her mouth falls open, and she gasps. "Holy shit." Jackie says, setting down her fork.

"He didnt really say, like, I love Paige so much. He tried to cover it up. Which was super weird. He definitely thinks he is doing no wrong at all right now, which I hate." I attempt to explain. I have no idea how to even explain the jumbled conversation I had with Cole a period ago.

"Hey! Wheres Alex?" Coles loud voice booms down at Jackie and I. Looking up, we see Coles tall shadow casting over our table. The first thing I notice are his fists tightened into a strong ball.

"What the hell is happening?" I am quick to ask before even thinking about the fact that Im mad at him.

"Where is Alex?" He repeats, biting his lip with anger.

"We have no idea." Jackie answers with a scowl.

"So youre on his side?" He asks, looking at me instead of my sister.

"Well Id say Im leaning towards it." I say. "Alex is the good guy here."

"Oh, so you think Im the bad guy?"

"You think youre not?" I ask him, standing up.

"Fine. Ill find him myself." He storms off without answering me.

"Should we-" I almost ask Jackie if we should follow him, but decide against it. That drama is too much right now. "Nevermind." I sit back down.

Almost five minutes later, Jackie and I watch Lee, Issac, and Nathan run off. My eyes instantly fall to Jackies, and we run after them. I got my answer without asking; we should have followed him. There is obviously something going on. My heart begins to pound in nervousness about what's happening. Why does it feel like the world is ending today?

"Whats going on?" I call after them.

"Fight!" Is all Issac can manage to say.

Soon we are all in a bustling theater, everyone screaming and yelling. Jackie and I stop dead in our tracks at the top of the stairs, watching Alex and Cole, screaming insults at each other as they fight again. Thats the second time in three days.

I shake my head, trying to breath when Im in disbelief. Soon, a teacher comes in and breaks it up, sending them to the office. As all of the boys climb the stairs, now in trouble, my eyes meet both Alex and Coles. All I know is Im not going home tonight.

___

tell me why this was so hard to write😭😭