Chapter 14: The job and a phone call

Start from the beginning

On my way back, I think about what it would mean if I got the job. My responsibilities would probably change a little because I am there longer than four hours. But I don't mind that, I am actually excited to see more of the company and which kinds of jobs they have.

I know, they have writers, journalists, publicists, bookcover designers and much more. And who knows, maybe one day I'll be one of those writers.

I smile a little but shake my head. This is just dreaming, I know the chances of publishing a story are very low and I shouldn't count on that to become true. But it is a nice thought.

I get off the subway and walk back to our apartment. When I get inside, I can hear Wanda talking to someone on the phone, so I am extra silent, not wanting to disturb her.

I get out of my shoes and go into the kitchen, making me and Wanda a snack. When she's done with the call, I walk into the bedroom and smile. She glances up and smiles widely.
Her work forgotten for a few moments, she opens her arms for me and I come closer and put the plate down before sitting on her lap. Her arms wrap around me and she kisses my cheek. Her affection makes little butterflies appear in my stomach. I turn my head and kiss her lips sweetly.

"How did it go?" She asks and I can't help it but to smile.

"Pretty good. Mr. Harolton said that he would like it if I worked there full time. He only has to talk about it with the finance department and will inform me as soon as he knows more." I tell Wanda, wiggling a little in excitement. Her eyes grow big at my words and she hugs me.

"That's so great! I am really happy for you, sunshine." She says and plasters a few kisses on my face, making me giggle and feel giddy.

"Thank you. I am excited to see where this is going." I tell her and she nods in agreement and gives me another hug before connecting our lips in a soft kiss.

I return the kiss instantly. But we are interrupted by her laptop making a noise, announcing that she got an email to answer. She sighs a little and taps my thigh, on which her hand was resting.

"Let's celebrate later tonight, okay?" She offers and I nod with a grin and get up. She nods towards the snack.

"Thank you, love you." She says and I grin even wider, returning her words before she goes back to work.

The next few hours I spend in our living room, cleaning a bit and doing some laundry. Once the chores are all done, I decide to scroll a little through the internet.
Something peaks my interest and I sit up a little. There's a short story competition. I read the rest of the article and the smile on my face widens with every new passage.

You don't need to have something of yours published to participate in it. They want you to send them an email with the short story you wrote and that's it to be a part of this.
I get really excited and read through the part with the topic of the story again. I have stories like that, they are already written.

My leg starts to bounce in excitement as I think about what story I could enter. I would obviously read over it again to make sure there are as less mistakes in there as possible and ask Wanda to tell me her opinion.
But just the thought of being a part of a competition makes me happy and I get up to get my notepads where the stories are all written down.

I'm occupied with that for the next few hours until Wanda is also ready with work. She comes into the living room and leans down to kiss the top of my head, looking over my shoulder.
I smile up at her but before I can say anything, her phone starts ringing and she groans a bit but lets go of me to get it from the bedroom.

I lower my notepad and look towards the door. It's past Wanda's worktime, she shouldn't receive any calls anymore. And usually, we also don't get calls.

She comes back, a frown on her face and sits down next to me. I put my notepad away and pull one leg up and watch her. She doesn't seem to have a problem with that as her eyes are on me. She hums.

"Why are you calling?" She asks, sounding a little...distant? I wonder who's on the other line.
She hums and nods but then shakes her head.

"That's not a reason. The last time, I told you to wait until you get a call from me or her." She says, her words a little sharper and I'm getting a sense on who she might be talking to.

"No...we agreed on...exactly." Wanda replies, locking eyes with me and taking my hand in hers.

She mouthes 'your father' to me and I feel a wave of unpleasant feelings rush through my body. I haven't spoken to him since that incident in London and Wanda is right, they agreed that he wouldn't call until I call him first.
She made sure that I have the time I need to process everything but it seems like he doesn't respect that, once again. Wanda's expression becomes annoyed.

"That's none of your business." She replies and rolls her eyes but doesn't let go of my hand.

She probably knows that this is making me nervous, even though I'm not talking to him and Wanda will make sure to protect me. She huffs a little and leans back as he seems to talk for a while. I chew on my bottom lip, not sure what to expect from this. What does he want? Why is he calling now?
It's not like anything big happened. Well, my birthday but that's like a week ago, so...

"I'm gonna stop you right there. It's nice that you want to tell me that...I am aware...No, you don't. We don't...Mhm...okay, bye." She ends the conversation and hangs up.
I look at her waiting for her to tell me what this was about. Wanda huffs a bit and brushes some hair out of her face.

"He just wanted to talk and ask how everything is going but when I told him that that's not what we agreed on, he seemed to feel the need to tell me about his life." She explains and lets her phone drop onto the sofa before pulling me a little closer.

I'm not sure what to reply to that, so I just nod. Ever since he yelled at me, I don't know what I feel towards him. I know, I don't have to like him but a tiny part of me wants that, he is still my father after all.
It's just confusing and honestly draining to think about it.
Wanda doesn't push me to talk about it, she just offer me her comfort and I crawl to sit on her lap, leaning my side against her and her arms wrap around me, holding me securely.

We sit like that for a while and I allow my thoughts to wander, they feel less overwhelming when I'm in her embrace.

"I have you." She whispers, kissing my forehead and my heart becomes warm, snuggling a little further into her. As long as I a with her, nothing can hurt me, at least it feels that way. 

A/n: Ahhh, the calm bliss of fluff... for now

Thanks for reading and love to you all <3