84

Of all the possibilities Magnus had been expecting, he had not been expecting to see Estella and his bastard grandson return to court, paraded in by The Council as though they were royalty. Magnus knew Estella has been tested as an infant. All children born at court were inspected to ensure Magnus knew the resources at his disposal. He remembered nothing of her as a child which meant she had been useless. She had no magic, no beast, was as good as human. Another waste of a noble birth. Magnus thought he heard something from his dragon, but as he tried to catch another sound there was only silence.

There was no possible way that Alric's problematic spawn was an Earth Dragon Queen. This was all some elaborate pantomime. Going so far to try and mimic the fabric of the spiders of the lost woods to create a cheap gown for a costume. Magnus rose from his seat, fire in his eyes as he looked at his bastard grandson beside her. Wearing only colours and sigils that could be ascribed to Estella. None to his parentage. Confirming without a doubt to Magnus that he should have executed Estella when he had executed her father. Saved himself all the trouble she had caused.

Magnus was about to speak when a crushing aura swept through the room, originating from Nightmother. Her tone close to a scold, "Magnus, seventh of this name, lord of Sovran Dragons you have welcomed us one and all.  Offered gifts of hospitality which were accepted, surely not even you would be so foolish as to act against natural laws and customs with an original in witness?" A brave scribe tugged on the side of the enchanted toga Magnus was wearing, Magnus leaned down as the scribe implored his grace to caution, Nightmother was in attendance.

Magnus looked like he might explode from containing his rage, but he managed to swallow down some of his ire and rage enough to pay basic lip service and welcomed his guests and bid them to take their seats. A scribe trying to implore Magnus to tread carefully. This meeting had grown more complicated than expected. Esti and Atticus took the raised, tall chairs, Nightmother sat beside Esti, Damon beside Atticus the others took the remainder of the seats without fuss.

Welcomes were exchanged, then introductions. Everything was starting off quite civilized. Magus his sour mood and dislike of the couple at the head of the table in front of him by refusing to look at them. There was an ancient goddess for one, a female werewolf sat at the table. Several names of note from The Council. Lord Roddington advising Magnus to remember that this was preferable to an actual invasion. Magnus doing his best to not appear as petulant as he felt, called for refreshments to be provided before moving on to starting discussions on what goals and outcomes The Council desired from this meeting.

A dozen servants wearing formal livery emerged from the far edge of court carrying trays of snacks and pastries or holding pitchers of refreshments. Esti waited until she turned to see if she recognized any of the incoming servants from passing them in the halls when she had been one of them.  Esti and Zinnia both went pale as they saw a familiar face carrying a silver pitcher of water. A metal band around her throat. Matching bands around every single servant's neck.

Zinnia looked like she might be sick. Holly looked up from the floor, her eyes red and puffy from crying. Seeing her sister and Esti sat at the table she was supposed to be acting as a servant for. Holly in her surprise dropped the heavy silver pitcher, the silver denting as it bounced on the stone floor. Water spilling everywhere.

Slave Mistress Templeton was there in an instant, hand raised to strike Holly for dropping the pitcher and making a mess. Magnus called from his dais, "Apologies, my servants are new and poorly trained, we are working on their conduct." Esti saw red as the slave mistress struck the visibly pregnant teenager.

Esti flew from her seat at superhuman speed thanks to Opal who was more than happy to let Esti fly free. Esti latched onto Agnes Templeton's forearm as the woman was swinging to strike Holly. Esti was not gentle as she gripped the hateful woman's arm. Long talons growing where her fingernails should be as Opal added her power fully to Esti. "Release her. Now." Esti commanded.