50

Atticus, Joe, and Theo were landing across the island of Grand Manan nearly an hour after Esti had gone to bed in the loft apartment over Terrance's garage. After the perfect feast Dot had hosted. Warm, safe, and overfed in a way that had soothed so many hurts in her heart. Atticus was growing desperate to be near her again. Looking around at the clearing and cabin where Esti had been staying. Knowing she was not here, but had been not long ago.

Theo had dove into a barrel roll, to land first, shifting seamlessly, and already wearing loose pants when Atticus joined him on the ground. Joe was hopping on one foot as he tried to get into his own pants quickly. Clearly trying to be dressed and in command of his person before Atticus landed. No such luck for Joey. Atticus had caught him awkward and pants down.

Joe might have burned with indignity, but Atticus was paying Joe no attention at all. Esti wasn't here. Atticus knew that much. She wasn't that far away either. He was closer to her than he had been in months. The night was dark, and Esti was actually sleeping this time. Safe in a bed. Far too far away, but closer than she had been in months. Never again would he leave her alone. Atticus finally, stopped holding back. Opening back up to Esti, hoping that maybe she would dream of him while she slept, and would wake with them together again.

Theo did a slow turn of the homestead, hidden in the cliffs of this isolated island. "She prepared. The hens are tended for the next three days at least, she must have traveled recently." Theo said, voice even. "She plans to return soon." He said, confident.

Except, Atticus knew that whatever Esti had planned, it had not gone to the letter. "Regardless of what she planned, something happened today." Atticus reminded Theo and Joe.

Joe had been quiet. "There was a storm. It wasn't natural." Joe's body was tense. Joe's unease rippled to Theo, who did better at hiding it, but did tense as well. "There is something in the seas." Joe added, looking out at the dark endless rolling sea. Theo looked at Joe, expectantly. Joe added nothing more.

Theo's eyes narrowed as he looked at his mate. "What do you mean? What is out there? A demon? Old world interloper? Witches? What?" Theo pressed. Joe looked actually scared. Joe only shook his head, he didn't know what he was sensing, it wasn't anything he had encountered before.

The two mated dragons looked at each other. "The village?" They each asked each other, nodding, without filling Atticus in. "It was safe the last time we were there. Esti must have waited too long to get winter supplies" Theo said. Calm. Trying to reassure Joe, Atticus was not factoring into the current conversation. He was outside their bond.

Joe's eyes went wide. "Two years ago!" Looking across the island to where Atticus guessed the village had to be. It was the same direction he knew Esti was. "We shouldn't have left her here, alone-" Joe started, only for Theo to come and take his mate's throat in his hand. Gripping tightly, holding Joe's head still, looking him directly in the eye.

Holding Joe so he had to look Theo in the eyes as he spoke or risk suffocation, Theo's voice was firm. "Tell me Joe, how many of our safe houses? Our offices? How many friends have been found dead the past two months." Joe's eyes went wide, then lowered to the left. Submitting to Theo. Atticus didn't need any words to figure out that since Esti had escaped, things had not been going well for the Ghost Network.

Atticus was quiet. His mind and his dragon were thinking double speed. If the Ghost Network had suffered losses while Esti had been free, and Atticus incarcerated, then-"Norman and Nigella are they safe?" Atticus asked. He knew far too little about Esti, but he did know who she loved. It was a short list.

Atticus did not love the look that passed between Theo and Joe. The silence after his question lasting too long. "Our network has confirmed both have been arrested. Magnus has been in a very bad mood since Esti escaped, which was not helped by your escape soon after." Theo admitted to Atticus. Finally looking him in the eye, almost feigning like he could see Atticus as a near equal. "All is not well in the dragon court. It has become harder to get up to date information with Nigella out of commission- We've had less information. It appears like there is a civil war brewing at court." Theo was good enough to be honest with Atticus. More or less honest at least

Theo turned his attention towards Joe. Letting him go. "Try and scrunge together enough gear to make us look like competent hikers." Theo declared. Joe nodded and ran towards the cabin to try and fulfill the impossible seeming request. Theo's attention turned to Atticus, sharply. "If you sense anything from Esti you need to let us know." Theo declared. Atticus nodded. No verbal contract established. Both men believed they would be acting in Esti's best interest. That was going to need to be enough.

Joe went to the cabin, untying their baggage and taking it into the cabin. Far quicker than Atticus expected, Joe returned with three hiking bags, and enough supplies that they would pass for hikers. "Clothes and boots are inside the bags." Joe announced, tying the hiking bags up with the hula hoop handle. "Follow Theo, We will land outside the village near a hiking trail. Walk into town in the morning." Theo already started to shift. Joe and Atticus starting their own as Theo took to the sky.

The flight across the island was swift, the dragons all landed in a small open field next to a popular hiking trail. Tourist season was long since past, and the weather not conducive for camping for most humans. The entire area was deserted. No eyes saw their flight in the night. Atticus landed, facing the direction he knew Esti was. Soon, they would be together again, and he would make sure they were never apart again.

Esti was still sound asleep, warm and safe in a bed -"Stand down soldier, we have a hike to get into town." Atticus heard Joe call from where he had landed. Atticus looked at his firmly erect cock also pointing directly in Esti's direction, Atticus was mortified. It had been more than two months now of forced celibacy. The longest he had gone without getting his dick wet one way or another since his first sexual encounter. Joe tossed Atticus one of the hiking bags, ignoring as Theo and Joe chuckled at his expense, Atticus quickly got dressed in cheap boxers, sweatpants, t shirt, flannel button up, and a decent wind breaker jacket. Lacing on the new, stiff hiking boots.

Theo and Joe got dressed together. Their outfits almost the exact same as the one Atticus wore. Mild variations in colors or plaid patterns all that separated them. Atticus was jealous of their connection, their relationship felt like it was being thrown in his face that he did not have Esti with him. Made her absence even harder to carry.

The sun was not due to even begin to rise for at least another hour. Esti was sleeping. Tonight they would go to bed together, wherever Esti wanted to lay her head down. Atticus thought Saint Tropez might be a good place to start. Somewhere with warm sandy beaches, a place where Esti would only know luxury, pleasure and leisure.

The backpack was impossibly light to be one for a real rugged hiking trip, hopefully the thin illusion was enough to act as cover as Atticus, Joe and Theo went in to the small human town to collect Esti. Once Esti and Atticus were reunited, the Ghost Network would need to regroup. Figure out who or what was targeting their safe houses. Esti's rescue coincided with the attacks starting, and Magnus was apparently mad enough to be seeking vengeance. Making his army a likely suspect for the current assault.

Theo also had to consider that such a speedy, targeted attack all across the network he had built indicated a high level of planning, and resources were at play. There had been several high profile rescue and relocations since the war in Fae. Each rescue adding another enemy left angry in the Ghost Network's wake. In truth, there were too many possibilities for suspects right now.

The trio of men who were one and all hoping Esti could still be waiting on them; made their way through the rugged trail in silence. All easily able to navigate the rough terrain of the challenging trial with ease. Able to see all the uneven stones, tree branches and roots in the way.