21

Esti was smiling, feeling happy in this moment, better than she had ever thought to feel again. "Happy wedding day Fowl." Esti said as Fowl won the race by not a very large margin. She was glad to have gotten to witness a candid moment between the two before she was noticed. The two were jovial together, at ease in each other's company in a way Esti hadn't ever seen in either of them. Fowl was always so serious, and well she was still getting to know her mate. They had barely any time alone together yet.

Atticus and Fowl both turned towards Esti at the same time. Race and screen forgotten and abandoned. Esti's eyes looked to Atticus first, He was hers. And she was his. Could feel it. Irrational, magical and irresistible. Fowl only smiled harder. Able to sense the truth.

Sincerely overflowing with mirth, "Esti!" Fowl enthusiastically announced her name. Moving to her with super human speed. Sweeping her up in a spinning hug. "Come to steal me away?" Fowl teased. Knowing it would rile up Atticus. All the better to add reinforcement in the new bond. Fowl always knew, Esti wasn't meant for him. She was just the best person he had ever known outside his own family. Atticus after a short acquaintance with Fowl, had already proven to be of better quality than most of his peers.

Atticus, just as Fowl hoped, growled, moving to quickly separate Esti from Fowl's embrace with care to ensure she was safe. Wrapping her under his arm. Possessively. Fowl took a defensive position immediately. "She is yours." Fowl promised Atticus, sensing his friend's beast side was a little too close to the surface.

Truth be told, Fowl was happier that Atticus and Esti appeared to be destined for each other, than he was for his own, perfectly acceptable and reasonable marriage. Fowl was not a fool. Better still his younger half sisters were an army of spies onto themselves. He knew there were certainly already plots centered around trying to frame Esti in some power play. Whispers of how to manipulate the foolish Fitzprince. Fowl knew the best thing he could do right now, was follow through on his family's plan to increase their influence in the court.

Esti, Fowl, and Atticus enjoyed a light lunch in the games room. Conversation came easily. Fowl able to bridge the gap between Esti and her court only upbringing, and Atticus who still knew almost nothing of court life. The more Esti heard Fowl and Atticus talk about things they enjoyed in cities. How free everyone seemed to be out among the humans, the more she wanted to experience it for herself. Too soon a maid came and found Esti, reminding her of the tight timeline on her gown. Esti politely excused herself, saying she would meet Atticus before the wedding.

Esti was wearing the most simple of outfits, leggings, flats, and a long tunic top. It did not make sense how she made the simple clothes look so sensual draping around her curves as she walked away. To continue to be fitted for a gown to wear to Fowl's wedding in only a few hours from now. Fowl and Atticus both watched her leave with the servant. She turned back to look at Atticus one last time before she wouldn't be able to see him any longer.

Atticus turned to look at Fowl. "You like Esti." Only saying the truth, waiting and expecting for an explanation to be provided. Atticus did not like how close and affectionate the two were, they had shared history. Fowl was only getting married because it had been arranged by his and his pending brides families.

Fowl sighed. "Come. Follow me." Atticus did not understand, but his dragon advised him to listen. Fowl lead Atticus deeper into the home, warning Atticus when they passed through a magical barrier as they entered an office looking space.

Atticus looked around, the messy desk, the walls all filled with bookshelves and endless books, scrolls, and other documents filed away in the high ceilinged space. "I love Esti." Holding up his hand to stop from being interrupted. "The same way I love all my sisters and brother." Fowl's words were swift. Catching Atticus by surprise. He had been ready for a fight, to need to stand his ground against his friend.