1

A sharp cry came on the wind. "Estella!" Her Mama's voice loud and shrill. Echoing over the rolling hills of the fields nearby to their small home. Where Esti was working at trying to clear new land for growing more vegetables. This area wasn't right for the kind of crops Mama wanted to grow. Esti knew better than to openly go against her mother. At least not right away. Let her mama have her moment thinking she was in charge was always better. 

Esti was almost glad for the chance to pause. The wild grasses had been allowed to run wild for years and years. There was a thick layer of thatch like dead grasses. The roots running deep into the fertile soil. Never mind the occasional stone that needed to be dug out, and tossed to the side.

She was, almost glad for the reprieve. It was never a good sign when Mama took the effort to scream her full name. Esti tried to think what could possibly have upset her mother enough for her to get up from the couch to yell across the field. Wiping the back of her arm over her forehead, trying to sweep some of the sweat from her brow. Maybe Mama had changed her mind, and Esti didn't need to continue this pointless work until sunset.

Esti checked the position of the sun. There were still hours of daylight left. Mama had told her to keep working until the land was clear or the moon had risen. Whichever happened first. Knowing it would be impossible for Esti alone to clear the land indicated in one afternoon. A command to stay out of sight and be useful.

Sticking the spade down into the ground, so the handle stayed upright in the dirt. Esti dusted her hands together, doing little to dislodge the dirt that had stuck to her sweaty skin. Again she heard Mama's shrill voice call out. "Estella Juno FIELD come here!" Mama never used the new last name. The emphasis on that last name felt wrong. Mama considered it an insult to herself. A feeling of foreboding tickled at the back of Esti's neck. A warning. Something must have happened. She wouldn't be calling unless something was wrong.

Esti started to run, in earnest over the fields back towards her current home. Mama shouting that she wasn't moving fast enough the entire time. Esti's steps were long, feet moving quickly as she bounded over the distance from where she had been toiling to where Mama was waiting underneath the overhang that protected the front step from the elements. 

The shingles on the roof needed to be replaced, along with several windows with broken panes of glass or faulty sills. The entire home needed to be painted. Those were all luxuries that the pair simply could not afford. Not after Lord Magnus decided Esti's Papa was a traitor for suggesting the true born, rightful Dragons of Mortal Earth should mix with those now spilling over from Fae. 

Refugees from a war in another world, at least that was what Esti had heard. Like the fairy tales human's had in their books. The ones she used to read in the vast castle library when her father had not been making her study science and history.

Esti didn't have any more time to dwell on a past that she knew she could not change. As she made her final approach towards the home, a man she did not know came from around the back of the house. Wearing a formal, charcoal colored suit, with a matching hat. The dust from the farm quickly working to dull the shine on his shoes. Mama, refused to look at Esti as she finally grew near. In fact, Mama, was very pointedly not making eye contact.

The man in the suit pointed at Esti, "This is her then?" The man asked Mama, who nodded towards the man in reply. Still never looking at Esti.

"Mama?" Esti pleaded, already knowing in her heart Mama wasn't going to tell her anything. Ever since Magnus had papa executed, Mama had not been the same. The way she looked right now, reminded Esti of the morning they had been informed that the sentence had been carried out, Papa was dead, they were stripped of his name, titles, and fortune. Sent to work as farmers on rented fields to earn a livelihood. Living as peasants. Forced to pay back debts and fines that would never end. A lifetime of poverty, indebted to the crown.