twenty five

----

"Balls back!" I chant, watching as Armin sinks his ping pong ball into one of the red cups sitting at the far end of the table. Our opponents role their eyes in frustration, having not made a single shot since declaring they'd play winners after Armin and I had won the last three games of beer pong.

A steady crowd had appeared around the gray fold out table in the past twenty minutes, whispering among themselves as Armin and I have been undefeated since our appearance at the table to challenge Reiner and Porco. As I make my next shot, Hitch storms into the circle, seemingly wondering who is taking the attention away from her party.

As she notices Armin and I, along with a tall boy with black hair falling in his face whispering in her ear, she glares into my eyes. I shrink back slightly as I toss the ball, missing in the flustered anxiety that laces throughout my body. Normally I'd hate being the center of attention, but I couldn't deny the pregame shot and two other drinks I'd had so far, and the alcohol coursing through my system emboldened me.

Hitch's glare removes me from my giddiness in our winning streak, and I look up to Armin in concern as he sinks his shot. Hitch's eyes never leave my face as Armin and I wrap up the game, leading to a fourth consecutive win.

"Marlo and I will play winners." She states as she walks to the other end of the table and rearranges the cups, the tall boy who had been speaking to her previously following.

"But we had next!" Jean objects from beside her, and she turns to him with a fierce glare.

"It's my fucking party!" She shouts, before taking a deep breath at the skeptical looks she receives for her outburst. I subconsciously take a step back, as Armin meets my eyes with confusion drawn over his face.

We proceed to miss both shots we take in our apprehensiveness at Hitch's demeanor, and I find myself not caring as long as we get this game over with. A threatening air pierces the atmosphere around the table as I feel a tap on my shoulder.

As soon as I turn my head to meet Connie's gaze, a sharp sting lashes throughout my cheek, and I bring my hand up to my face as the ping pong ball drops to the ground. I whip my head around to Hitch, who's hand is covering her mouth to suppress giggles. Marlo looks equally as anxious as I feel from beside her, and desperately speaks into her ear.

"Hey, what's your issue?" Armin snaps as he takes a step forward to partially block my body with his.

"Oops." Hitch replies through her giggles as she pulls her hand away from her mouth to shrug, and I watch as Marlo's shot sails into a cup. The rest of the game flies by from Armin and I missing every shot we make, to be met with snide comments from Hitch. Whether our loss is intentional or not, I'm grateful as I down the rest of my drink and toss my cup to the table to show that it's empty.

"Are you okay?" Armin asks as we stalk off to a corner of the yard, our friends following us.

"I'm fine. What the fuck was that?" I ask as I tenderly bring my finger to the welt that had formed on my cheek. Armin's hand reaches up, and he lightly brushes it as well.

"I have no idea." He snaps as he turns to glare in the general direction of Hitch.

"Oh my god!" Connie's voice rings out behind us as he walks over with water in his hand. I turn to face the group that Connie is leading, all whispering amongst themselves as they approach. I notice the absence of Reiner, Bertholdt, and Porco, thinking they must have wandered off to get more to drink.

"Are you okay? Mikasa asks as she takes my chin in her hand, turning my head so she can look at the welt.

"I'm alright, just a little sketched out." I answer as I gently pull her hand away from my face, only for it to be replaced by Sasha's as she glances at the injury as well. Slowly, my face is passed around the group as everyone wants to get a look.