fifteen

----

I'm torn away from my sleep by my ringtone pounding in my ears, and swing my hand wildly around my bedside table to find my phone. "Hello?" I mumble as I bring my phone to my ear, not bothering to check the contact before answering.

"(Y/N)! God, I'm so glad you answered!"

"Mom? What's up? It's seven in the morning." I reply with a quick glance to my alarm clock.

"Well, I thought you'd be up for your classes." She says. I haven't spoken to my mom since she sent me off at the beginning of the semester, she didn't even bother to come help me move in. I had driven with Connie, and his parents helped settle us in. She texts every once in a while, typically to ask how my grades are and if I have enough money. Not that she'd send any.

"No, I don't have class until one on Wednesdays. You know this." I say, knowing I must have sent her my class and work schedule at least ten times.

"Are you sure? I don't remember seeing that. You should have taken another morning class to fill in that gap, dear. You're missing out on valuable time." I roll my eyes at her nagging as I sit up in bed, reaching for my water. Not that she'd know I already have a full course load this semester, and my income won't cover the cost of another class. "Anyways, send me your schedule again so I have it."

"Will do. Why did you call me?" I ask, trying to keep my tone light in my exasperation.

"Well, I ran into Connie's mother, and she told me you're dating someone. Is that really the smartest decision given your grades?" Her tone suddenly goes harsh and almost accusatory as my face burns up.

"First of all, I'm not dating anyone. Second of all, my grades are perfectly fine." Where did Mrs. Springer get the idea that I was dating someone?" I shoot back, flustered beyond keeping my tone in check.

"Your grades are not fine, you have a B in math. What do you plan on doing about that?" She raises her voice slightly at the end, and I flinch away from the phone.

"Woah, mom. Back up. Dating someone?"

"That blond boy that's always near you in the pictures Connie posts! Now tell me about your plan to fix your grades." She snaps, and I sigh, knowing I'll have to text Connie's mother to clear things up.

"We're just friends, and he's also helping me with math. If you'd bothered to check in when you didn't just feel like a fight, you'd know that I've brought my grade up from a D." Her over dramatic gasp causes me to back away from my phone again as I wait for her screams.

"Who the hell do you think-"

"Look mom, I've gotta go." I interrupt her before hanging up the phone. I'm immediately bombarded by calls and texts, and sit staring at my phone in disbelief. My mother's 'freak outs,' to put it lightly, started after my father passed away. I'm still not used to them though.

She can be fine one moment, and raging the next. Usually at whoever is easily accessible to her, and I guess with her being alone in the house and her daughter a phone call away, I was the easiest to get to. When my dad passed, I had left school for a couple of weeks, putting me severely behind in my classes. This was her first bone to pick with me as soon as the funeral had ended.

The tears start to flow as I think about my dad, his kind smile, bright eyes, and endearing teasing and nicknames. He's the one who stayed to help move me into my freshman year of college, while my mom had left as soon as my bags were unpacked from her car.

I roll over in bed, pulling the covers over my head and sobbing quietly. Sasha wasn't in our room, I figure she ran out to get breakfast before her early class. Wednesday mornings are typically my breath in all of the current craziness. All of my friends had early classes, leaving me to my own thoughts. Even though I love them to death, I'm grateful for a slow, peaceful morning in the middle of the week.