39) Sleep

"You were right, Dhwani

"You were right, Dhwani. You enjoy hurting my feelings."

His words were fresh in her mind, and so was the hurt that crossed his face.

Did she really hurt him? Amid her distress for Uttara, was she blinded in her judgment? Did her accusations for Anirudh were baseless, discouraging, and hurtful?

Dhwani couldn't stop thinking.

The questions kept pouring into her head, making her thoughts ruffled and unsettled. They were attacking her conscious like a blizzard of sharp snowfall that burned and froze one's blood. They were harsh on her and she could feel an empty pit deepening in her abdomen.

The same one she had felt inside her for the initial days of this marriage.

She had blamed him the same way he had once. It was true how experiencing hurt changes an individual. It has changed her into a person she wasn't. Teaching lessons none could. She could no longer recognize her reflection in the mirror. She had stopped sharing too much, trusting too much, comparing all under one lens, and not allowing them to have control over her emotions.

Dhwani was no longer the same person yet for him, she was letting her old side back. She had been trying but somehow, somewhere, she was still the girl who was insulted on her very day of marriage, accused of being a gold digger, and isolated for 2 long years.

She wasn't supposed to live in the past, she had closed that chapter months back and started fresh but how was she to undermine her fears and let them go?

They were deeply engraved in her heart, ready to heal but far from fading.

Her fears had overpowered her senses and the morning was one such incident where this Dhwani was replaced by her bitter self—the insecure, acerbic, scared, and distorted.

She could never enjoy hurting another person, definitely not Anirudh but she did.

She had done the worst she could and it was only viable that she make it up to him.

"Everything seems fine to me."

She snapped out of her staring spree, the geometric patterns of the tiled floor had kept her hooked for the time until the doctor checked Manna. "Are you sure?"

"Yes, the position of the baby is a bit concerning because of the accident. Rest the mother and child are absolutely healthy and kicking." The OB-GYN she requested from Vidyut's hospital nodded in confirmation.

"Any special measures to be taken?" She glanced at Manna who sat recoiled on the edge of the bed, eyes oscillating between the ladies and back to Dhwani, for she was the only person she recognized in the room.