25) Wife

For a long while, as long as she possibly could, she held her breath, keeping his words away from her heart

For a long while, as long as she possibly could, she held her breath, keeping his words away from her heart. Away from the rational part of her brain that had the power to process them and break the loose threads of relationships she had built in these years around her.

A draft of cold, biting winds passed through the air, and leaving several goosebumps on her arms while breaking her resolve to keep the words at bay from affecting her.

They shot through her chest like sharp-edged arrows, piercing through the skin and filling her with disdain, shame, and chagrin. It was like flipping through the pages of a book full of her nightmares, screaming reminders of her worth in the eyes of people she had been forgetful of. Hearing those cruel words, she had often found in lurking whispers even before she had learned to walk.

Uncomfortable, humiliating, and then all at once stabbing. Because it was her past, the reality that she had lived once. Because it followed wherever she walked.

Orphan- someone who had no one in this world.

A tag that would forever remain engraved on her soul, that doesn't just disappear.

"You have lost your mind." Anirudh had yanked Rakshit on his feet, pushing him away from her. As physically as possible, yet he couldn't take away the pain that she felt from his accusations. "Do you realize what you are enunciating with those questions of yours? You are blaming Dhwani for whatever Shreya did to herself."

"But, bhai, she was with her..."

"So what?" Anirudh snapped at him, looking at him incredulously as if he couldn't recognize the brother he had come here for. "Does that mean Dhwani should have left her back in the pretense of ignoring her existence when they met? Are you implying that, just because Dhwani could have her revenge on Shreya for every insult she threw her way, she would hurt her to the extent of pushing her here?"

"I mean she could...?" Rakshit trailed glancing her way with something Dhwani couldn't understand.

Was it doubt? Distrust?

"I don't understand what you mean anymore, Rakshit nor I will be waiting around to see you blame my wife for something a person does to herself. What she did, was self-harm and none could instigate her. Not until she has made up her mind for doing it." Anirudh announced, pissed at his brother he turned his back to him and took hold of her palm yanking her to her feet. "Me and my wife are leaving."

She recoiled at the word, flinching with the mere utterance of Anirudh's words that brought vulnerable hot tears to burn behind her eyes. She tried the words the out but pursed her lips until she could find her voice to be stable again. "She...she was not...herself. She was disturbed when I stumbled upon her. I thought leaving her alone...was not right?"

"You don't need to explain yourself, Petal." His once raged, steely eyes that glared harshly towards Rakshit, met her's.

She watched how they softened slightly when he took in her face like the way he looked at her was different from how he looked at others. He held trust in his eyes. Trust for her.