36) Family

My first free weekend in this new year. I hope you enjoy this part. 

He could wager all his wealth for this one moment

He could wager all his wealth for this one moment. All his riches, his achievements, and his dreams even for this one woman who shredded his layers and peaked inside the man he was.

It was their first hug.

In all these years that he had known this girl, this was the first time his skin knew her touch. His arms snaked around her waist and refused to get back to his side. It was outrageous how perfect she felt in his arms. Her head to his chest, his chin placed against her crown. Their heartbeats in sync. Calm. Melodious. Beautiful.

It was a shame he did not take her in his arms the first time he saw her. How over the years had he gone without her in his life was out of his thinking horizon? He couldn't have been without her.

He shouldn't ever.

"It has been more than a minute." His personal reminder chimed.

How did he wish it could last years, ages, or eons?

Dhwani could run for her life if she ever heard his wishes for her.

He wished nonsensical, unusual, and unworldly things when it came to her. His wishes were not the issue, his will to bring them to reality for her, with her was what scared him.

He wasn't this person before.

She made him this person and he wouldn't change, not even when the entire universe was presented to him as leverage.

"I am holding my wife, you got some problem with that, lady?" His eyes narrowed at her, the mischief he had come to notice in her eyes was bright.

"Right." She stretched the word with a self-satisfactory smirk. "Hold her. Who am I to intervene?"

While she stared into the endless sky, admiring the morning sunrays, his eyes refused to leave their shadows reflecting on the other side. The black silhouettes together portrayed them as one. There was no identifying who was who. They were together and that was what warmed his insides. He absentmindedly inhaled her, an earthy fragrance with a hint of lavender from her moisturizer buzzed his senses. "I like people who mind their own business."

"Does that mean you like me?" Her grin pulled one from him, although the reply his brain formulated demanded he pull his back.

"I like you." He admitted watching her eyes daze hearing him. "Like I like a lot of people."

He wanted to smack himself for comparing her with anyone but the satisfaction to watch her brown eyes turn into narrow slits and her way to revolt out of his hold was endearing.

Dhwani's reactions to his teasing always topped the highlights of his day.

"You are incorrigible. I should have never talked to you." She sulked, trying to push her way out of his hold.