34) Choices

There was no hard way, nor a subtle inference to put the words

There was no hard way, nor a subtle inference to put the words. It was an unclaimed principle that the world followed. You have to step into another situation, willingly or not, but step in to step out of the old circumstances you have brought upon yourself.

This is how the world works.

This is how Rakshit was supposed to work.

He had to step in, take responsibility for his actions, and try to make amendments. Try being the operative word. He had made several bad decisions and he carried loads of regrets but none was this powerful. The damages that he had caused were incomparable and the redressing of the old wound he had knowingly or unknowingly had scratched was not easy. Well, it wasn't supposed to be.

He had inflicted a pain he was nowhere in a position to address.

He had sinned that night. Well, one would call it a sin when you hurt an innocent soul, breaking their heart, and throwing all the love and care back at them like an insult. Being insensitive was one thing, but being apathetic to others took the cake for being the eighth sin.

"You need to step out, Rakshit." Shreya's soft voice did nothing to assure him. He kept staring at the 4-story building that stood behind the wrought iron gates. The sun was close to set casting a dull orange hue in the sky. The humongous trees covering the road leading to the orphanage rustled due to cold wind taking a shiver out of him.

It wasn't cold. It was self-admonishing disgust that he had been pushing back in his mind for a while.

"She would never want to see my face again." He mumbled, not wanting Shreya to hear yet wanting her to know and let him drive out and away from here. If avoiding each other was a way, Rakshit would never let Dhwani see him again.

"She will. She is better than us." Shreya pointed with a confidence that made him crack a smile. "She is the last person who keeps grudges and you know that better than me, Chauhan."

What would he have not given for seeing them bond like this months back?

He had always wanted his current best friend and old best friend to gel well, more when he wanted both to be a part of all the fun activities he wanted to perform. Dhwani had successfully taken the place of his other mother, elder sister, and best friend in his life.

"I wish she would." He mumbled to himself. Dhwani was selfless and this very quality of hers kept backfiring on her.

"Did you say something?"

He shook his head.

"Fine. Now, if you do not move, I will have no apprehensions to kick you out of this car and drag you to her until you are begging both of us with strings of apologies." She gestured towards the car door with a suggestive glare. She meant those words and he knew it very well.

"Geez. Give me a minute to think." He winced and took a deep, determined breath before removing his seatbelt with a click and gauging her smile unfurling in victory. "If I am thrown out of the building, I am blaming you."