21) The past

Shreya paced the lengths of his cabin

Shreya paced the lengths of his cabin. The wooden furnished floor screeched under her boots, the click-clock of her steps raising her anger at each point that the world faded. She felt like a woman trapped inside the mirror watching the world around her moving yet she could never make her presence known. She may scream, kick, or bang but no one would hear her or notice.

His contract was the glass mirror that trapped her.

Like a poisonous branch, it was wrapping it around her body sucking the air out of her and killing her slowly.

All because of one mistake she made.

The phone in her palms chimed and she flinched as if she was slapped back to reality. The gravity pulled her down into the pit she had dug for herself.

With dread filling her heart, she read the notification that made her swallow the bile back.

It was time.

Old Cotton Factory, Street 10.
Colaba.
Today 6 pm.

She re-read the words and the contempt towards her past actions. Biting her cheeks, she clenched her eyes shut and stood with her head ducked down as she controlled the angry tears back.

Breathing deeply, she calmed her nerves and glanced at the clock which screamed 12 Noon yet there was no sign of the man she had been waiting for the past 3 hours in this closed space.

She dialed his number and kept waiting for him to receive it, the dial tone mocking her.

"I am so stupid waiting for him." She admonished herself and rubbed her temples as the early signs of Migraine kicked in and her left eye vision turned blurry. Heaving, she kept her head against the cold glass desk. Sitting at the edge of her seat across the table.

Some more minutes passed and she was lulled into a light sleep only to be jolted back by the loud ringing of her device, followed by a loud knock on her locked door.

She glared at him as he gestured for her to unlock the door while he pressed the device on his ear.

Turning towards the screen, she yanked the phone, answering it snappily.

"Will you keep acting like you were a mistake on god's behalf?" She hollered from behind his closed cabin doors.

"Will you open the damn door?" He rolled her eyes at her and tried the handle to open it.

"I wish I had the sense to run for hills when I met you decades before." She yelled back.

"You are taking unfair advantage of my soundproof cabin." He frowned and hung up as she glared. She unlocked the glass door and stepped aside for him to enter the room designated to him on this executive floor.

"You are late!" She accused him of stalking forward and he gulped. She scoffed seeing him like a victim when in reality, he could watch the world burning and laugh like an idiot in the middle of flames. "Just because you are entitled to be a Chauhan you think others are fools to step into the office 15 minutes before their timings. But being the boss, you are 3 hours late. What were you busy doing? Taking your sweet time in waking up?"