Chapter 10

"Only a matter of time until she beats your ass again"

Enzo:

"She was going to tell you that night", Santi says as I look over at her laid there. "Shit I'm sorry", he adds as I put the test back in the bag. "We were both going to surprise one another", i say as a nurse walks in. "Sorry to disturb I'm here to turn off the oxygen supply to see if she can breathe for herself", she says.

"What if she can't"? I say as Santi waits outside. "If she isn't able to we'll have to set her back up on the oxygen until she can but usually people can", she says. "What about the other wires"? I ask. "The drip attached to her arm will leave when she wakes and is able to drink and eat on her own", she says.

"The wires on her chest will stay a little longer so we can fully measure the heart and make sure that it hasn't been affected incase it changes", she adds. "Quite the security you have out there", she says. "You can never have enough in situations like this", i reply.

She walks over closer to aria before holding one part of the tube with one hand resting her other on another side of the tube ready to pull them apart. She slowly pulls them apart cutting the oxygen supply to aria as the monitor starts beeping.

"What does that mean is she breathing"? I ask. "The beeping means the tubes have been disconnected so the oxygen has stopped flowing through, nothing to be scared of", she says.

She pulls the other half of the tube out of arias mouth slowly pulling it out as the connected tube leaves her throat. "Now for the moment of truth", she says looking at the clock before closely watch aria.

"Perfect", she says before writing something down in arias check book at the end of her bed. "Does that mean she's breathing"? I ask as she nods. "It means she can now breathe by herself without the use of any machines helping her, it's looking good", she adds.

"Do you know when she will wake up", I ask as she shakes her head. "It can be anytime from now until til around 4am, hopefully in the next 14 hours approximately ", she says. "If she doesn't wake up then we will have to worry", she adds.

"Worry"? I ask. "It will be considered as delayed emergence which occurs from the operating room", she says. "It's often caused by the effect of drugs administered during the surgery, in arias case there was more than the normal amount as it was multiple procedures in one go", she says.

"Her breathing by herself is looking good for her waking up within the time limit it's just time that can help her now", she says. "If she does wake up before the 14 hours you will have to press the red button next to her bed there to alert us as we will have to see her and examine her as soon as she wakes", she says pointing to the button.

"Thank you", i say before sitting back down beside aria. "Just doing my job", she says smiling before leaving as Santi re enters. "What did she say"? He asks. "She took the tube out that was giving aria oxygen to see if she could breathe for herself and she can do it's looking good", i say.

"She said if she doesn't wake up in the next 14 hours then we will have to worry as that'll be her 24 hours limit up", i say. "She will wake up", he says. "She's already breathing for herself 10 hours after her surgery she's going to be up in no time keeping you on your toes again", he says.

"She'll be bossing me around and running the house soon don't you worry", he says as I smile. "Only a matter of time until she beats your ass again", i reply as he smirks. "I let her", he says. "Sure", i reply.

-

A couple hours had gone by and there was still no sign of her waking up. There were 2 new bodyguards outside the door as the rest had gone back to the house. Nurses came by every now and then to check her over before leaving again.

It was now 10pm creeping closer to her 24 hour limit. 6 hours to go before I could worry, every hour that passed had me even more on edge. What if she doesn't wake up? Or what if she does and can't remember who I am?

I started unpacking our things before turning off the main light and switching a lamp on beside her bed. Closing the curtains I see people walk by both entering and leaving the building driving home together.

A shelf stood in the corner of the room with a mirror above. After unpacking our clothes Lexi had packed her essentials for her hair and body. I stood all the products on the shelf before placing the bag under a chair in the corner out the way.

The room was closest to the cafeteria so I left the room making sure they kept an eye on her so I could get myself a fresh drink and something to eat. I didn't bother sitting and eating it there as I didn't want to leave her for too long so I bought it back to her room.

Rendering her room I was greeted by Lexi sat on the chair beside her bed. "Where did you go"? She asks looking up. "Cafeteria", i say as she nods. "Santi told me about the oxygen being disconnected, that great", she says.

"It's looking good Enzo", she adds looking over at me. "How's everything back at the house"? I ask trying to get my mind off it. "A few guys came back with her bag and cleaned that up before coming to give it you, I see they did", she says looking over at the bag.

"Yeah there was a pregnancy test inside so she was going to tell me the night of the accident", i say sitting opposite them both. "About that", she says as someone knocks at the door. Caleb enters before asking to speak to me.

"What is it"? I ask standing up from the chair as Lexi looks worried. "Aria told me she was pregnant a couple days before the accident", he says. "What", i reply. "I knew she was pregnant", he says.

Lexi:

"I knew she was pregnant", Caleb says as Enzo loses his temper. He walks over to him before pushing him against the door. "And you didn't fucking tell me"! Enzo shouts. "You knew and you didn't tell me"!

"She asked me not to she wanted to tell you herself she begged me"! Caleb screams back. "This wouldn't have happened, none of this would've happened if you had told me she was pregnant"! Enzo shouts back.

"I wouldn't have agreed to take her out for a meal, she was vulnerable as it is and now my baby's dead and arias like this"! He shouts pulling back as Caleb looks at aria laid there. "I'm so sorry Enzo", he says as Enzo cuts him off.

"Sorry isn't going to cut it"! He shouts. "You knew she was pregnant and allowed her to go out un guarded without me knowing"! "You went behind my back because she "begged you", he adds.

"Look at her"! He shouts pointing at aria. "This would have never happened and my baby wouldn't be dead if you had told me"! He shouts pushing him back against the door.

I look over at aria as her eyes start fluttering and her fingers move on my hand. "Enzo", i say watching her hand move. "You're a fucking dead man Caleb"! He shouts as Caleb now looks over watching.

"Enzo"! I shout as Enzo lets him go now turning towards aria.

1342 words

Make sure to vote 🤍