Tompkins Square Park Men's Room

In the Tompkins Square Park men's restroom, located in Alphabet City on the east side of New York City, you find yourself urgently needing to use the facilities. As you enter, you're greeted by an unpleasant odor and sight. The privacy of patrons is compromised as none of the toilet stalls have doors. The first two stalls lack seats, and the last stall, which is a more spacious handicap-accessible one, has its toilet paper dispenser inconveniently placed a foot away from the toilet, necessitating one to grab enough paper before sitting down. Although this stall is preferable, it is often occupied by a homeless individual who is using the toilet and conversing with himself.

Using the bathroom inside the Tompkins Square Park men's public toilet can be challenging, standing peeing or boldly sitting on the toilet.  I recall a time when I entered the restroom and saw a schoolboy sitting on the toilet in the first stall, pants down, seemingly in urgent need to relieve himself after school hours. On several occasions upon entering the restroom, I was greeted by sights and odors reminiscent of a men's room at a homeless shelter. Men were seated on toilets, pants slightly down or around their ankles, while others used the sinks to bathe or brush their teeth, unabashed by the onlookers. I wonder if the restroom's interior features remain unchanged in today's times.

 I wonder if the restroom's interior features remain unchanged in today's times