"My orders," Liam repeated.

"Yes, because believe it or not, with Zayn incapable, you're next in command. Don't feel pressured because we all know that you have a lot to deal with right now, that grump upstairs being one of them. But if the wolves have questions, I'll be directing them to you. Are you okay with that?"

"I guess so." Liam scaled the room, catching a few eyes and even a few smiles, though his thoughts clung onto the few scowls, and it was easy for Liam to convince himself that they didn't want to take orders from a human. I have to show them that I give them no choice.

Liam sat up straighter. I'm not a scared little human anymore, so stop acting like one.

"I heard about the library situation. Those Omega wolves are on bin duty for the foreseeable future, and they've been nervously sweating ever since Zayn yelled at them to get out."

"He yelled at them?"

"Of course he did. That's your safe space."

"He also left me books and a blanket outside the room I slept in last night. He's giving me space. I didn't think he'd last till morning."

"Because he cares about what you want this time."

"I think he always has cared, his demons just speak for him sometimes."

"Well we need to get rid of those demons. This pack won't survive if we leave it. We wait till he asks for help because then he will really want to fix himself. Last time, he didn't care otherwise we wouldn't be in this situation."

"I think he cared. He just doesn't know how to help himself or where to start." Liam had looked glum from the moment he woke, but the thought of Zayn getting the help he needed filled him with his usual optimism.

"I've made it clear that he loses me if he doesn't get help this time. I hope that's enough motivation."

"It will be," Baela reassured. "You're mates, there's nothing more valuable than your love."

"I didn't think it was possible for mates to argue like this. Is that why it hurts so much?"

Baela's smile turned back to pity. "I heard my fair share of arguments between Solana and Xavier. It's possible for you to get mad at each other, but unlike normal relationships, you'll always make up in the end. You can argue with a guarantee that you'll never break up. Some mates take advantage of that. I bet Louis and Harry argue every day."

Liam rested his chin on his palm. "When I first met Zayn, I saw some similarities. We were both quiet and awkward, me more than him, but we both knew grief and it felt like we needed each other. When we connected the bond, I felt so close to him. I felt like I was looking at my own refection or something. We were so connected, but now I feel him testing the bond all the time like he's seeing how far he can push me away."

"That's the old Zayn, the stubborn Zayn who always thought he was better off alone. I don't think he wanted a mate until you came along. He was hesitant to be around you, but of course the bond made that impossible for him."

"Do you think he was embarrassed to have a human?"

"Yes," Baela said truthfully. "Because back then he had a reputation. He probably expected to be bonded to another toxic Alpha, but the universe gave him you to bring that big head of his back down to earth. Zayn is still trying to resist."

"I wish he would stop," Liam mumbled, rubbing his chest. His limbs were a little stiff, his heart a little heavy, and his head a little foggy. All that would go if he got a simple hug from Zayn. "As long as he thinks he deserves to be unhappy, he'll tear down
everyone around him to achieve it."

"I feel sorry for him, but I would love to give that sharp jaw of his another whack."

Liam shook his head with a gentle smile. "I think my silence feels like a thousand of those."

"He'll come running to you soon enough," Baela stretched arms above her head and her jangly bracelets fell to her elbow.

"Right, Mister Payne, I'll get you some food before you rush away for some rest." Baela left the table before he could object, and Liam was left to stare uneasily at his coffee. He felt eyes on him and wondered if anyone talked about anything other than Zayn. Liam noticed how nobody mentioned Niall, like speaking about him would start a ripple of sorrow through the building.

Since Zayn had been Alpha, the pack had suffered hit after hit. Soon, they wouldn't be able to cope and Liam wondered if the Southern Alpha knew that.

Something is going on with the Rogues. Liam had a horrid feeling that the Southern Alpha had rebuilt his pack from Rogues. Nobody really cared when Rogues were in their territory because they always moved on. What if his pack is everywhere and nobody suspects it?

Liam's thoughts were interrupted when his heart spiked. Zayn. He turned toward the door, connecting his gaze with soft brown eyes. Zayn's black hair was a mess, sticking out in every direction. His silver streak fanned at the front of his head. He wore the same clothes as yesterday, and he looked just as tired as Liam felt.

The sight of Zayn made Liam desperate for his warmth, his smell, his deep voice in his ear, but Liam didn't let any of that show. Instead, he stared blankly at Zayn who hovered in the doorway. The room silenced with werewolves looking between their Alpha and his mate.

Zayn then lowered his head and backed out of the canteen.

Baela hurried after him with a bowl of porridge and a small carton of apple juice.

"Zayn!" she yelled, jogging after his long strides. Zayn stopped in the corridor and turned slowly. He was so sad, he couldn't even glare.

"Here." Baela put the breakfast in his hands. She eyed the bruise on his cheek and decided not to comment on the fact that her knuckles had put it there. "I hope you know that this pack is still together by just a thread. Please don't pull too hard. Please."

Zayn now struggled to look her in the eyes. His ego was the glue holding him together. In its absence, he was just a broken man.

"I thought I'd pulled too hard already."

"Liam is the thread Zayn." Baela felt her anger rising, like she had to rage to avenge Niall's death, but unlike Zayn, she was in control. "He's so important to us, and to you. Don't you ever forget that again."

"I won't."

Baela had never seen him so frail and so defeated. He wasn't so scary when he could barely raise his deep voice above a whisper. "The pack wants an apology. I suggest doing it in groups of five, so it's more personal. If wolves have any criticism, you will listen and take note of what they want from their Alpha."

Baela's voice was stern and Zayn had no choice but to nod.

"When he's ready to see you, Liam needs an apology too, and a promise that you will never disrespect him again. I hate to see you both so miserable. Well, you not so much right now."

Zayn's eyes pinned to his black trainers. He was so ashamed he couldn't look at Baela as she walked away. Zayn no longer felt like an Alpha. That position was the pencil to his artwork. Without it, he was just a blank piece of paper. He had no idea who he was without his grief-stricken walls keeping everything out and his emotions in.

Someone then left the canteen and Liam's sweet scent wafted strongly through the open door, giving Zayn the strength to return to the bedroom.

There he started drafting an apology while his heart wept enough to provide the ink.

Liam's new song is coming on 1st March. Excited?