4:1

⚠️Warning! There is a bit of gore in this story!⚠️

“It doesn’t have to be like this… Doesn’t have to end!”

“You know it does. This is goodbye. Not a ‘see you later.’”

The air seemed cooler. The stars a little dimmer. The night darker. The creatures quieter.

The other turned around.

“WAIT!” Desperation filled the yelling voice. The other hesitated. ”Please…” The voice was now barely a murmur.

The other started to walk off. Not caring about the little boy he left behind. 

He had his reason for leaving, a reason that the little boy didn’t know. Maybe never will know. The night had joined his nightmares along with all other traumatic things he had seen, felt, and feared. He can remember the blood. The pain. The scream. Oh god, the scream. It was background music, like the wind during the day but so much worse. 

He has good memories, of course. Like before everything. When he could stay home, cuddle with mom, play with others his age, and enjoy time outside with dad. But all these memories were attached to something he couldn’t even dream of anymore. A feeling of love. Giving and receiving. He knew this the day his dad left.

No one has been in his sight for longer than he cared to count. Time wasn’t important. A lot of things weren’t important anymore. Not even his life. He doesn’t know why or how he is still living. Still walking. Breathing. He doesn’t count how long it is since he’s slept or eaten. All he can do is walk around aimlessly. He should have some sort of feeling to at least try and save the ‘people’. But… he doesn’t. Maybe it’s the fact he saw his mother die trying. Maybe he just doesn’t care enough. Maybe it’s the lack of hope.

He had lost hope a long time ago. Never had a reason to keep it. He never laughs, or smiles any more. It pained him to think of the bright smiles they all held while playing a game, teasing each other, hell, just being around each other brightened all of their days. And it was all gone. One accident had changed the world. He sees the corpses of people almost everyday. He sees where their bodies were slowly picked bare of all skin.

He knew it was only a matter of time before everything starves to death. All life is gone. Well besides one. If it could be counted as ‘life’. Their brains could hang out and it wouldn’t affect a thing. Limbs could fall off. Food could be non-existent. It didn’t matter. They continued to roam the planet without a worry. The only instinct they held was to attack and eat whatever they saw.

The wind picked up. A storm was coming. His mind told him to find shelter. Stay out of the storm. But he ignored it and continued walking along the dirt. He passed trees with no leaves. Lakes with barely any water. The air was filled with death, as it has been for what felt like forever. He never paid any mind to the things he passed, always too caught up in his thoughts.

In a way, he was jealous. Of the stars. They would shine so brightly each and every night. Why couldn’t life have stayed the same as it was before the accident? Why did the stars get to keep their life and he didn’t? He knew life wasn’t fair. But it didn’t change how he felt. Didn’t get rid of the emptiness in his heart. The knowledge served no purpose while he was walking, seemingly the only ‘human’ left. Part of him wants to let go. Die. Make the process quicker. Less painful.

Life was full of pain, wasn’t it? 

His mind loved to play horrid, vivid tricks on him. He would fall asleep to find his mother. His mother would be in the kitchen cooking for the house. He would walk up to her. They talked. His mind made him forget the accident and its effect on the world. Then it showed his dad. He would stride into the kitchen and all of them would talk. All equally participating. All equally involved. No secrets. Then the screams would slowly creep in. 

His vision would fade. 

And when it was back, his mother was there. Screaming in agony. His father’s screams just barely there as they began running up to her. The green creatures had her surrounded and he could just barely see her messy dirty blonde hair, now being ripped out of her scalp by green, bloodied hands. She couldn’t do anything. They couldn’t do anything. 

They weren’t fast enough. Her screams had stopped just before they reached her. She was a mess on the ground. Her right eye was taken out of its socket. Chunks of dirty blonde hair were spread around. Blood oozed from multiple places of tared flesh. 

His vision faded yet again. 

Now he could see his father. He stood tall, a stone cold look settled on his face. His mousy brown hair settled on his face even though the wind was blowing. His shoulders would tense as he looked up to his father. The stars shone brightly. He subconsciously held his breath, preparing himself.

“Grian, you need to go on without me.” Her screams played quietly in the background as a reminder. “W-what..?” “I can’t continue to take care of you! You’re a man now! You should be living on your own anyway.” They both knew it was a lie. He hadn’t even finished growing. They both thought he stood no chance against the once fantasy creatures. So why? Why did his father leave him in the end? “No- it doesn’t make sense! Mom’s gone, I can’t lose you too!” His eyes felt on fire. “It doesn’t have to be like this… Doesn’t have to end!” He felt the clump in his throat. He heard the fear and desperation in his voice. “You know it does.” No, he didn’t-doesn’t- know why. “This is goodbye. Not a ‘see you later.’” The air seemed colder. The stars a little dimmer. The night darker. The creatures quieter.

His father turned, his back now facing his son. “WAIT!” He couldn’t stand it. He saw his father had paused. “Please..” His mind couldn’t comprehend. His heart wouldn’t heal. Now his father had walked off. It seemed he just didn’t care. Didn’t care if the little boy would live.

But I’ll let you in on a little secret:

“Please…” He couldn’t stand it. If he stayed, his son was guaranteed to die. Most likely by his own hands. What his son seemed to not notice was the hideous bite he gained while trying to kill the ones who murdered his wife in front of the two of them. He knew he would turn into one of the horrid creatures and he didn’t want his son to watch his transformation. And he didn’t want to be the one to kill his son. So he walked. And walked. Until he finally found himself attacking everything in sight. There was no denying it; he had turned.

Grian was so numbly caught in memories, he had almost not noticed the faint light poking through the dirt. His loneliness seems to rise and take over. Just the chance of finding a human being allowed his feelings to take control. Not that he really cared. He knew he would feel incredible disappointment when there was no one. But he had nothing else to do.

He walked around looking for an entrance. He noticed a trapdoor near one of the dead-looking trees. He opened it. A ladder sat, ready for use and he climbed down into the bunker. 

The walls were gray, the ceiling a darker shade, and the floors a nice spruce. If he was being completely honest, the place looked too nice to not have anyone living in it. He walked down the long hallway that eventually opened up. 

He was now standing in a lab of some sort. An uneasiness rose inside him. Four zombies were held in tubes surrounded by a green liquid. Their eyes were closed, and they looked as though they were sleeping in the tubes of theirs. He saw what looked to be a control panel. He hears light footsteps causing tension to rise to his shoulders. 

He looked down another hallway and saw a door slightly ajar. A small creature took small steps out towards Grian. A cat, he realized. Its back was a mixture of grays and its stomach was white. He felt a bit of joy reach him causing him to smile. It was small and hardly noticeable, but it was a smile. The first he's had in years.

“Hello?” A voice made him jump back from the cat and his smile quickly faded. In front of him stood a tall muscular male. He had fluffy dark brown hair and scars surrounding his body. One on his nose, a few on his arms, and a huge one right across his chest. He was crouched in a defensive pose on the floor and stayed that way as the male continued to talk. “You alright there?”

A/n
I regret making this. I think when i wrote it I was stuck in a venting state so it just down right sucks. Sorry you had to read that. This one will not be continued (at least not with this beginning).